Sunday, November 30, 2008

Christmas Ideas

Stevie’s old enough now to get excited about Christmas. Which makes me go absolutely insane with excitement, of coures. This year, I checked out a bunch of Christmas books from the library. I’m going to wrap them up like presents, and every night before bed we’ll unwrap and read one of the Christmas books.

I struggled a bit on how to teach Stevie and David about Jesus’ birth. I really want them to understand what it’s all about. I lucked out, because they have these great little videos on LDS.org. They’re basically the Illustrated Scriptures in Video form, but they’re succinct and use simple language. I’m going to try and incorporate a new one every week in Family Home Evening.

Here are some activities I’m going to TRY and have with the family this year.

1. Letters to Santa (yes, we’re going to do Santa. I’m going to follow this advice, too).
2. League City Christmas Tree Lighting on Dec. 4
3. Make homemade ornaments
4. Make Christmas cookies or gingerbread houses.
5. Secret Santa (leave cookies at people’s houses and run away)
6. Go Christmas caroling
7. Go see Christmas lights.
8. Go to Dickens on the Strand (I went last year and loved it. Plus, Steven gets discount tickets at work).

I know I’m probably being overly optimistic, but hey, it’s Christmas! A great time for optimism. Hopefully I won't end up having a Clark Griswald moment.

6 comments:

Simply Sarah *K* said...

Dude! That is a fantastic list!! Good job, and no worries, b/c my list is just as long! :)

Bonnie said...

That sounds like a full list, you can do it! I want to try to come visit you soon. I'll have to see when we can break away.

Andrea said...

I LOVE that article about Santa! Thanks for sharing.

Shannon said...

I think that list is great! Always aim for the stars when planning your December! I love love Christmas, and ours kids will all learn to love it too if we jam pack the month with fun!

Jenni said...

I think it sounds like a fabulous list and a great way to feel at home in League City.

Emm said...

you got to ho see Dickinson Festival of Light. Its just off of 517 at a park and is really impressive and free :)