Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Extremely Long Post About Furniture----Come Back Later If You're in a Rush

Okay, as suggested by MANDIE, I decided to put pictures of our new stuff on the blog and open the forum for suggestions. I've got some weird spaces I'm not quite sure what to do with, and plus I'm seriously challenged when it comes to making spaces look nice.

So we begin...

This is our living room. As you can see there's enough wood in here for a small cabin in the woods.
The couch/loveseat are a dark chocolate brown leather with tan stitching. We decided on leather because it seemed a bit more spill-friendly, which is important at present. I know the coffee table and end table are little old westish, but what can I say? They were sturdy and I liked them!
The coolest thing about this set is that they recline. Here's Steven luxioriously demonstrating:
Before, we were reduced to recliners because that's what we ended up inheriting in our years of used furniture. But in the process we got addicted to the whole "reclining" idea, so there you are.

Now you might be a bit confused on this choice, and not without reason.
So lemme 'xplain. Not only does the loveseat recline, they also rock (glide, whatever). But they would only rock if you got the console (which I think is a bit odd-looking, but Steven loves and that's that. We Grundbergs have always been Function over Form people, and ya gotta love that rocking feature.) Someday, when we move into a big fancy house with two living areas, we'll put this in the media room. (Won't it be cool to have a media room?)
Now this is the opposite wall. We're planning on splurging a bit and getting a big LCD TV for the wall. We also have a matching sofa table that we thought about putting underneath, but I'm not sure. It seems like a whole lotta wall to cover.

There's also this weird space behind the couch by that dratted fireplace and idiot built-in shelves that I don't know what to do with. We're considering putting a (small)computer armoire there.
This is our dining room table and chairs that I absolutely LOVE! I figure it's sort of in the middle between breakfast and dining table, which is good because we only have one dining space. The only problem is the chairs have fabric seats. Does anyone know about any kind of protectors I can put over them?

And now, master bedroom. This room is extra funky because it's 17x11 feet long. So it's super skinny one way and extra long the other way. Makes it hard to know where to put a king-sized bed (that's right, Steven and I decided long ago that while we love romance, when it's time to sleep we need our space[especially since I'm a flailer).

If you're wondering about the gorgeous quilt on the bed, that was given to me by the amazingly talented WANONIE. I was so dismayed when I realized it was queen-sized I almost cried, but it's so gorgeous I don't care, I'm using it anyway for now. (Notice the cute sconces on either side of the headboard).
Here is a view of the 8-drawer chest that we bought (and that I assembled, people. I'm so freakin' hoss). I obviously need something on the wall, right? We also bought a 6-drawer chest, but the room is so stinkin' skinny I can't get a good picture to show you.

And now, just for kicks, I thought I'd show the gorgeous bunk-bed/room set we were given by Anna Clemens. Her family just GAVE it to us. We couldn't believe our amazing luck and were so grateful. (There's also a chest that's NOT in the picture)
And here's the boy's bathroom. I got the shower curtain at IKEA and the cute little owl soap dispenser from Target.
Okay, so what do I do now?

15 comments:

Carina Olsen said...

I love the new furniture. I have a way to solve your kitchen chair slipcover problem. Buy clear Vinyl at the craft store and cut to slip over the fabric.You can then use Velcro to fasten it to the bottom of your chair with out ruining it. As for the rest of your house... I just need to come over. LOL!

Shellie said...

My mom used the vinyl idea! Super awesome! You have done a great job! We were just looking at a love seat like that yesterday! You just gotta love the drink holders!

Jenny said...

Oooo, Carina, you have to show me how to do that. I'm seriously craftily-challenged.

Simply Sarah *K* said...

You picked out some absolutely fantastic stuff! That furniture is GORGEOUS!!!

Shannon said...

Oh man! Such cute stuff! I love it! I love that bunkbed! And the bathroom stuff is adorable! You are doing great, and you just need to trust your judgement and go with what works for you! And then stop hiding that fireplace, LOLOL!

Shannon said...

Oh, and a pretty rug would really bring that living room together! and break up all the wood (which is NOT too much! You guys really found a great place!)

Bonnie said...

I love all of your new furniture. I especially love the dark bedroom set.

Jenny said...

Oh yes, definitely a rug. I just can't find one in my price range that doesn't look weird to me.

Serendipity said...

That's awesome. You guys picked out some nice looking stuff! I would recommend the plastic covering too. Another option is to unscrew your seats pull the plastic around the seat, staple then re-assemble. That might be more involved than you wanted though. Congratulations. . .it all looks great. Don't feel too bad about the decorating thing. I have been in my house over 4 years and have just started decorating. :) Just wait until you find what YOU like! You are the one that has to look at it every day. (that's my thing anyway.)

Mandie said...

Are you allowed to paint?

Aimee said...

Hey Jen,
Let's see... LIVING ROOM: Can you turn your furniture to FACE the Fireplace? Even though you don't really like it, you can make it work. Try it for awhile and see how it "feels". You could put the TV above the mantle (I'm seeing that more lately), put some well worn books on the shelves as well as scattering accessories like a few framed photos and a small statue-type thing or a cool thing from Dominican Republic or an instrument or, the words that are so popular "HOME" or "FAMILY" in between the books. Maybe some plants or tall flowers in tall vases on the hearth, a rug under the coffee table, some throw pillows to pull in some color from the rug and soften everything with curtains. For the large blank wall I did a friends with all family photos in black frames surrounding a "saying" made out of that vinyl lettering. I could take a picture and send it to you if you'd like.You have a great space and you can make it fantastic. Your furniture choices will be easy for you to work with for decorating.

As for your BEDROOM...What about a mirror above the long dresser? Curtains, of course, a fake tree (or living if you can keep it alive...I can't) and some framed art. Bedside tables with lamps?

If I have any other thoughts...... I'll try to keep them to myself!!!!

Jenny said...

Ooo, aimee, those were all such good suggestions! We tried it facing the fireplace, but the problem is the fireplace is curved, so I'm not sure we could mount a TV there.

Shannon said...

OOO, I like the vinyl lettering idea with pictures around it, and yes curtains! Gotta have curtains, and a few pictures in frames will make it more like home too!

Jenni said...

Our fireplace is the obvious focal point of our living room and there was no place to put the TV. The mantle was too high up to mount it about so we bought a flat screen and set in on the hearth "in" the fireplace. It's not actually in there it just butts up to the glass doors of the fireplace. It's perfect for us, especially because the fireplace is in the master bedroom too and that's not good with more than just Derek and I in the house.

Missy said...

I think your bedroom furniture is my FAVORITE. Looks like the next bedroom set I would buy, especially the dresser! Really good pick, Jenny! Any luck they'd let you buy this house from them because it looks seriously amazing. :)

My suggestions. I agree with Mandie, paint if they'll let you! I love the spot for the tv in the living room and a nice TV stand would look great in there (Target has some that match your furniture). And you definitely need a nice family portrait on that mantle! I think you're off to a great start!