Saturday, November 22, 2008

Twilight Review

Okay, folks, I loved it. LOVED IT! I thought it was an absolute blast to watch. Maybe it was the company, maybe it was the hundreds of screaming teenage girls, but I just thought it was really a fun movie. And honestly, I liked it a bit better than the book. It was very nice not to have to listen to Bella's string of whiny inner-dialouge the whole time. You just got to look at her and not realize how whiny she is, it was GREAT! I liked her so much better.

I thought they got all the characters down pat except for:

1) Rosalee-- the most beautiful woman in the world? Please...you could tell she wasn't even a natural blonde. She mostly just looked like she'd smelled a super-stinky piece of cheese through the whole movie.

2) Jasper-- hello, WHAT'S with the bug-eyed, terrified look he gives the camera? And seriously, that hair makes him look a little too pretty.

3) James-- he was just a bit ridiculous. His incessive impassioned sniffing and "oooh, I'm so scary" mugs to the camera were a bit funny. Plus, he just wasn't beautiful enough to be a vampire (in my head...I have very high vampire standards).

However, almost all the other characters were perfect (Victoria was way cooler in this movie than I ever thought she was in the book...that look of "I'm elvish and happy being evil and killing you," was excellent. And Alice was perfect. Just perfect.

And especially: Yeah, I admit I was skeptical of the Harry Potter dude (Cedric) playing Edward. But by the end of the movie, i thought he was uber-dreamy. I was totally sold.

ANYWAY, I know there were ultra-idiot parts running rampant in this movie. But I was expecting all that, so I wasn't too disappointed. I just thought they did a great job of portraying the book, which let's face it, isn't Pulitzer material anyway. And I'm definitely going to see it again. So DON'T YOU JUDGE ME!

Oh, and i just want to add that the girls in my ward are hilarious and I spent all of last night laughing my butt off. or I wish I had laughed my butt off...there's really too much of it.

7 comments:

Simply Sarah *K* said...

Amen sista! I can't think of anything else but that picture you just posted...hubbahubba.
Wish you could have been with us! But SO happy you had a blast!!

Kristy said...

Very good review and I agree completely. I was expecting the cheesy special effects and I think that helped. There was one point though, that had me in absolute stitches where I wasn't supposed to be laughing. When Edward was sucking the venom out of Bella and they showed Bella in agony and her eyes went cross-eyed. I don't know what it was, but that struck me so funny I didn't think I was going to be able to stop laughing. But I am with you, I really loved the movie and am hoping to see it again next week. My very favorite part was the baseball scene. I can't wait to get the DVD so I can watch that part over and over!!!

Shannon said...

So glad you had fun with the ladies in your ward! What a good time. I was thinking I wasn't going to see it at all, but if it is as good as you are saying then maybe I just will!

Mandie said...

I was going to wait and see it on video, but now I'm thinking that seeing it with a bunch of squealing girls might make it more entertaining. Thanks for the great review.

Julie{isCocoandCocoa} said...

I am in complete and total agreement. I think for me, like Kristy, it helped that I was expecting kind of a low-budget cheesy movie. Jasper had me laughing in places where I shouldn't have been with his crazed bug-eyed look. And Victoria was awesome! I didn't picture her that cool in the book either. And though I was disappointed when I initially heard who they had cast as Edward, I too was completely sold on him being a leading man by the end of the movie. I will definitely be seeing this movie again, too. (And I'm so glad you have awesome girls in your ward that you could go see this with. I think being with a group of friends made the movie even that much better.)

Jenni said...

Being in a group was totally awesome and we even made friends with the people that were in front of us waiting to get into the theater.
I went in not expecting too much and therefore loved it.

Anonymous said...

I went by here because a little line on my stats told me there was a link poonted on my blog here, and what I see? A fantastic blog header ( ^_^ thanks for using my kit) and ... a twilighter!!!
I really liked the books too (even like you say) if it's not some "grande litterature" as we say in France. And I'm waiting for the movie that will be on theatres only in january!!! Can you believe that? How lucky you are. :)
Like you were, I'm skeptical about Robert Pattinson. And I hope I could see it in original version because the little I saw with french voices was hideous!