Saturday, April 19, 2008

Our Triumphant Do-Over

Friday night was our last chance at the Brahms' Requiem and I'm happy to say--joy of all joys--that we made restitution for our wretched Thursday concert. Our Friday performance made everything worthwhile! Everyone sang with their heart and soul and it made all the difference. I was lucky enough to be standing next to the soprano soloist, and her beautiful performance brought tears to my eyes. Quite honestly, I sang through my tears most of the night—the mixture of words, music and pure emotion overwhelmed me. I felt the spirit so strongly. I sang for Mom last night.

Its nights like last night where it just seems like everything makes sense and the thought of life without music seems unimaginable. And even though we may not have sung it the way Brahms envisioned it, I’m pretty sure he would have smiled indulgently just the same.

4 comments:

Bonnie said...

I am so glad to hear that Friday night was amazing. I wanted to come, but we went out of town early Saturday morning for a wedding. I really feel that music can be a spiritual experience. I completely agree with you that I can't imagine living without music. Congratulations on your great performance.

Kelli said...

Yay, I'm glad you were able to make a triumphant return!

Mandie said...

I'm so glad the second day was better! Evening Song has had a few crash and burns too.

I miss singing in the choir SO MUCH. Ward choir just doesn't compare.

Jenni said...

I'm so glad you were able to have a night that redeemed all your hard work.