Where's Day-Day?
There he is!
Why do we feel so proud when they master peekaboo? I think it must be that every little thing he learns marks another thread of communication between us. Yes, we may only be able to say 'peekaboo' to each other with complete comprehension on both sides, but at least it's something! I know what he wants and he know my reaction, and we both get a lot of pleasure from the exchange. I feel the same way about David's recent habit of saying 'no' to every single question asked of him. Are you hungry? 'NO!' Do you want to play with cars? 'NO!' Can you make change for a fifty? 'NO!' The fact that this seems to be a catch-all answer for him doesn't phase me, because sometimes, every now and then, he means it. And thus we communicate, making him just that much more interesting.
The same goes for Stevie. As his vocabulary, as well as his understanding (or misunderstanding) of general venacular improves, I find myself delighted with the hilariousness of our conversations. Example:
Stevie: Hey, Elastigirl? (as he customarily calls me)
Mommy: Yes, Dash?
Stevie: I know, we can be superheroes!
Mommy: Great idea!
Stevie: I'm Dash, and I can run REALLY, REALLY FAST! (and he proceeds to pump his little legs up and down the halls).
Now is this the weightiest conversaton I've ever had? No, but it's profound in it's own way. Stevie and I are playing, imparting information, and becoming closer as a result. Frustration levels are lower now that we can communicate...even if it is on the most basic, and most necessary level...which is, of course, superhero talk.
4 comments:
Aww. i missed all that part. I got one that had little communication with me (mostly because since I was an adult she thought I was stupid, and since she was 12 I KNEW she was stupid) and one that wasn't sure what to do with me.
Oh Elastigirl, that is SO cute! I too enjoy having talks with my kids, it makes you feel so much closer. And it makes you realize that they are becoming people!
Elastigirl is a PERFECT nickname for ya! That is awesome. Im so "sad" that movie got all scratched up Ü. We are now onto Mermaida...what fun!
Looks like Day-Day and Aube could really entertain themselves...now THAT would be something to get on tape, two babies playing peek-a-boo together!
Stevie did inform us during sharing time that he was Dash! He is so cute!
Post a Comment