Sunday, March 30, 2008

'The Little Boys'

After my Dad’s party Friday night, I sat around with my hilarious brothers and their childhood friends listening to stories of their youthful hi-jinx. I had such a good time, and was laughing maniacally at their stories well into the night. I guess I never realized how crazy my little brothers and their friends were growing up. Let me testify now that they were truly, certifiably insane.

Story #1: Adam, Joey, Stephen & David and their friends had a delightful little game called ‘Penny Wars.’ This is, strangely enough, exactly what it sounds like. Growing up, we had an old teakettle that my mom kept tons of pennies in. These guys would build elaborate defense forts around the den, turn of the lights, AND HURL PENNIES AT EACH OTHER WITH FULL FORCE. Not just flipping one or two pennies at the enemy, no. They would take a fist-full of pennies and chuck them headlong into each other’s faces. It’s amazing our house, or my brothers, for that matter, is still standing.

Story #2: Our family used to own land in an obscure little place called ‘Throckmorton.’ We often went out to the farm for little vacations. Evidently my brothers and their friends (Stephen and David Qualls, David Haney & Sean Woodard) would grab paint guns, mount four-wheelers, and joust. They didn’t go into detail, but I can only imagine much crashing of vehicles, crushing of limbs, and paint everywhere.

Story #3: Also at scout camp, (thanks to Mikey) they all learned the words to the theme song from the cartoon show ‘Gummi Bears,’ and can apparently sing them flawlessly to this day. Prince Ali from Aladdin was also a favorite. After laughing myself hoarse at Adam & Stephen’s recitation of ‘Gummi Bears,’ I mentioned it to Mike the next day. Wouldn’t you know he began singing with vigor…

There were many, many more, but I can’t relate them all. But I will issue this warning to all ladies raising up housefuls of boys as I am: I’m fairly sure my mother never knew about any of these activities and ladies, this is what we have to look forward to!

8 comments:

Shellie said...

I have to add that I love sitting around the Eldredge home listening to crazy stories that they did as kids. They too would have penny wars and most of the time, as Jon says, it was really Anything Wars. They through pennies, shoes, legos, etc. Whatever would work. They each would take 5 minutes to gather whatever they could into their area of the house and then all heck would break loose. It is amazing that they all survived without any broken bones or serious injuries! Oh the good ol' days.

Shannon said...

Gummi Bears! Bouncing here and there and everywhere!

At least nothing was bad! All good "boy" things (and funny), but Oh the possibilities for injury!

Kristy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kristy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kristy said...

I'm with you Jenny, I didn't know half the trouble my brother got into. Example, Stevie running over himself with his own car...
What you as mothers of boys don't know won't hurt you, it seems like anyway...

The Eldredges said...

Let us not forget the official Flying Bannanas Patrol Cheer!

Many fond memories. I remember a penny war or two, along with a few lengthy games of Risk.

Who remembers playing softball in the field behing our house? Those were some good games. I swear our ward could have won state that year. The real Arlington 2nd Ward!

Mike

Jenny said...

Awww,...softball behind the Eldredges house...I remember it well! That was a fun summer!

Bonnie said...

I am so glad that I had all sisters! I only have one boy, but I guess I can look forward to a degree of craziness. I guess what I don't know can't hurt me.