I don't really want to dwell on what's been pervading my thoughts lately, so instead I'll write about something that makes me happy.
In January, I was called as the Primary Chorister at church, and I just love it. We have a rather large primary (about 75 kids) and the majority are under 7 years old. They're really great kids, though, and I just love seeing them every Sunday. Some of them even give me big smiles or hugs when they see me, and I can't even describe how amazing that makes me feel.
I've had this calling before. Back in Chicago, while I was teaching elementary music 5 days a week, I was called to be the Primary Chorister. And I hated it. I absolutely HATED it! I didn't have time to make all the props and I didn't have tons of time to spend on it anyway. And on top of it all, I couldn't figure out how to maintain order and discipline with the kids without using my "severe" voice (a voice my school kids heard quite often. Not as nice, but much quicker and very effective).
I'm not sure why, but it's 100% different this time. I love every minute of it. I have more time at home during the week to think out my lesson plans and make visual aids. It's possible that being excited about it has made all the difference.
I haven't had many meaningful musical connections lately, and I'd just recently begun to feel that lack. And even though I know this calling is a a very small outlet, it still brings me so much joy! It's so amazing to me how the Lord seems to help me with every single little need, no matter how insignificant.
I feel very fulfilled; like it's honing my skills and keeping my teaching fresh. And what's more, I feel like I'm finally learning how to maintain that classroom order WITHOUT my severe voice, which is an invaluable skill.
Now if I could just do the same thing with my KIDS, that would just be super.
6 comments:
I bet you are so good at it! Wish I could sit in on your singing time for some good pointers!
Discipline with your own children and other people's is always going to be different. Both for good and bad.
You are awesome at the latter topic and don't think that you've gotten away with not talking about the former... I'm here when/if you need.
I have to agree with Kristy...I want to come and participate in your Music Time!
The way we feel when teaching the Gospel to these small children is just more proof on top of everthing else of the truthfulness we are teaching. I love it!
I can't wait to follow in your footsteps and be a primary chorister one day!!
You are an AWESOME chorister! and the kids all LOVE you! You really do a great job and make it fun not only for the kids but the adults too. I hear the kids singing through the wall during Relief Society and wish I was in there singing too. I'm glad that you like your calling. . .that always makes it tons better!
You are one of the most amazing musicians and music educators I know. I will never tire of singing your praises (no pun intended)! The children in your ward are seriously BLESSED to have you, someone who is so accomplished professionally as well as spiritually in music.
LOVE YOU & MISS YOU!!!
Mags
Post a Comment