Thursday, March 26, 2009

Pickin' Strawberries


Yesterday morning we to Froger’s Fruit and Vegetable Farm in Alvin for some strawberry pickin’! It was really neat. They give you a bucket, and you can pick as many strawberries as you like for 1.50 per lb. The boys were really excited, Stevie kept repeating the rules: “No eating, and don’t pick the green or pink ones.” He kept repeating it like a mantra. It was really cute.


David was excited to pick for about 5 minutes. After that he just wanted to run up and down the rows of plants. (I don't blame him...they did look pretty cool).


We had a little girl with us who was hilarious. She had painstakingly taken one bite out almost every strawberry in her bucket.


We ended up picking about 9 lbs of strawberries. My boys ate TWO ENTIRE BOWLS full of berries yesterday. They also shared a bowl today. I ended up freezing the rest to use in smoothies. Yum!


This little trip has REALLY made me garden-hungry. I think I might ask our landlord to let us plant a little garden out back; which if he ends up selling it to us, will OF COURSE include a strawberry plant or two. It just seems like you can grow so many awesome fruits and veggies down here. And who knows? Maybe if I grow them I’ll be more likely to eat them.

Look how home-makey I’m becoming! Or at least aspire to become.

7 comments:

Shannon said...

ok, first...you might get to BUY your house??! That would be so cool! I love that house!

Second, what a super fun time! I love that you got SO MANY for so cheap and got to have fun doing it! I love Stevie's little mantra, that is hilarious!

Serendipity said...

That sounds like SO much fun! I need some strawberries for some yummy jam anyway. . .what a fun activity for the kids too! I think we just might have to venture out to Alvin one of these days.

Solveig Atwood said...

We used to go strawberry picking every year when we were kids...I loved it. We would eat at least as much as we picked, though!

Jenni said...

I pass that pick your veggies "farm" on Bowen all the time and think about stopping in the Spring. Maybe I will this year.

Hilllary Howland said...

Great minds think alike! We did this a couple of days ago.

Julie{isCocoandCocoa} said...

Fresh strawberries are so good! We have some growing in our backyard. I love being able to eat fresh strawberries whenever I want. And the ones I can't eat I freeze, and last year I even made homemade jam with them.

~Darcy~ said...

How fun!! I am so jealous that you guys are wearing shorts already!! We have SNOW, yet again!!