On Saturday afternoon we got a call from our landlord who had stayed down in League City through the hurricane. He told us that he had been over to check on our house, and that it was destroyed. A large oak tree had fallen on the left side of the house, smashing our storage room/office, which in turn smashed into the power service entrance. It started a fire that burned an enormous whole in the roof and the middle of the house. They retrieved a picture or two off the wall, but that was it. Everything's gone.
The bad news is, of course, we're homeless. The good news is we're insured, and most of our things are replacable. We'll be able to compensate for everything that was destroyed in the fire with the money. It's just a question of how long it will take to get it, and what the heck to do with ourselves in the meantime.
We've had so many amazing friends housing us and giving us clothes or money. We feel so overwhelmed with gratitude. We are SO GRATEFUL that we were led to LEAVE THE HOUSE and therefore were absent when the fire started. I am safe, my precious babies are safe, and the love of my life is safe.
Consequently, we will be in Arlington for an indiscrimiate length of time. We actually have no idea what to do next. It's just wait, wait, wait until Steven finds out when he has to go back to work and we both find out if my Dad and Adam's houses made it through okay. I think I'll be staying after Steven goes back to League city to get things straightened out. I can't bear to see the house, and I don't want the boys to see it either.
SO ANYWAY--if you're in Arlington or close by, give me a call! Chances are I won't have plans.
17 comments:
Wow, I am so sorry to hear about your house. That is really awful. I am glad that you are safe and sound though. I have a project in mind, I haven't decided if it is a secret or not yet, but it might actually be fun to do together. What are each of the boys' favorite colors? And what colors will your new bedroom be decorated in?
I totally want to get together with you in the next day or two. I think I'll be starting a job this week, so my free time will be limited after that.
I'm so sorry, Jenny. I am just so glad that you guys are safe! We would love to see you sometime!
I'm sorry about your house, Jenny. I hope you guys are okay and are getting settled. Maybe we can see ya at Potluck on Thursday?
Again, so GLAD you guys are safely here and NOT HURT! And man, ya'll totally down-played it on Saturday! I just can't beleive it is all gone. You are probably booked solid now, but I really would love to get together and let the kiddos play.
First of all, I am so glad you guys are safe and sound but I am SO SORRY that all of your memories and belongings are gone.
Second well I guess we won't be coming to see you after all! I am praying for you and your family to find peace in this time of sadness! I love you my Jenny girl!
Again, I echo that we are glad that you guys are safe and sorry that all your stuff is gone. It might just be stuff but it is still hard to start over. If I can do anything to help please let me know.
Wow, Jenny. I am so sorry you have to go through this! You're in our prayers!
I am so glad you guys are somewhere safe!!! Let us know whatever we can do to help.
I know there are always bright sides and now you can get all new stuff! I was so impressed at your forethought before leaving with the video of all of your stuff and the fact that you decided to leave when otherwise you might have been out of the worst of the storm. I agree with everyone else that it's a huge blessing you guys weren't hurt!
Oh, and I really do have stacks of clothes if you need them for David! Lots of cute fall stuff too!
Unfortunately, I stupidly sold much of the boys' clothes, but I do have some random bits of furniture you can have for when you guys do have a place to call home, no matter how temporary. I've been thinking of you non-stop for the last few days and I want to do anything I can to help. Let us know - seriously anything. And please I'd love to see you!
Jen...
We are going to call you in the morning. Chris and I want to go by the house and do some digging for you. See if there is anything we and find for you. We are so sorry you are going through this. You're family is in our prayers. You know if there is anything we can do you can call us. or Email.
OlsenPhotography@gmail.com
oh Jenny, I am SO sorry that happened. Please, we'd love to help in any way. Just name it. We'll be praying for you.
Oh my Jenny. I’m so sorry to hear this.
I know you don’t know me at all – but we’d like to help in any way we can. Just let us know.
Just say the word... whatever we can do for you guys! I'm about to start hunting for pictures for you...
I love you hunny and I am so sorry!
Count me in too! I will be coming to town in two weeks and would love to see you as well as everyone else. I am so glad you guys are safe and sound. It's nice that everything is insured but it does stink starting over. Oooo...I just had a thought, but for now I will keep it to myself. Can't wait to see you!
I noticed you turned off the comments for the post above (I can't imagine why), but I wanted to say... Wow...that's all. We'll talk next week about the quilts. :)
Jenny,
I'm so sorry to hear about this. Please let me know if there is anything you need. You're in my prayers.
Mark
Post a Comment