Saturday, September 13, 2008

Update on Ike

We made it safe to Arlington after an ELEVEN HOUR CAR RIDE from League City. The traffic, obviously, was horrendous. But the Kirchman's are kindly giving us shelter until we find out whether or not we're going to be homeless.

We arrived last night around 11:30am, chatted till about 12:00 (Sarah, you are just too interesting to talk to, darnit!) and finally fell into bed around 12:30. I've never slept so soundly on a futon bed in my entire life.

Today we just hung out and talked, went to IHOP and also went out with my dad and brother. Sarah even watched the kids for us so that Steven and I could finally go and see "The Dark Knight" (which was AWESOME, by the way).

Tomorrow I'll get to go and visit for awhile with my dear friend Jan and then later celebrate at another friend's baby shower.

How strange is it that I get to have this friendly, relaxing little vacation while my father's and brother's houses, which are both on Galveston Island right by the water, are being blown to smithereens? And maybe our house too? Who knows...we're new to this whole hurricane thing, and maybe I'm just overreacting. It's very unsettling and yet unreal at the same time.

I'm just glad we're all insured up to the eyeballs. But that won't get my wedding pictures back if our house is flooded (how could I possibly have forgotten them????!!!)

7 comments:

Shannon said...

Oh Jenny! You have no idea how hapy I was when i finally found out you were up here! I hope that when you get to go home, all is just as you left it with little or no damage! Again, SOOOO glad ya'll are safe!

Julie{isCocoandCocoa} said...

I'm glad to hear that you made it up here safely!
And I just talked to my Mom and she's almost positive my Dad still has the pictures he took at your wedding saved.

Shellie said...

Jenny! I was so happy to see you post this! I have been waiting for days to find out! I feel so out of touch not being in Texas with y'all. I think it might rain here but it's not the same. Anyways! I'm glad your safe and sound and I will keep your homes in our prayers.

Bonnie said...

I'm so glad you updated us all on your safety. I've been checking your blog regularly to make sure that you weren't one of those "stubborn" people who thought they'd ride out the storm. I'm glad you are safe and sound, and maybe I'll see you if you have a moment of spare time between all of your other activities. :)

Jody said...

Please let me know what I can do to help! I have room here if you guys need a place to stay... also have flexible schedule if you need a hardcore volunteer for whatever may come your way when you get home... I have a great pair of overalls I have been dying to wear...

Jody said...

Also... I'm pretty sure I have a boatload of pics from your wedding as well... also (if needed) I can scour my baby books for kiddo pics of you, pretty sure I have some of those as well!

Aimee said...

Jenny and Steve, Let us know what's going on. You are in our prayers and thoughts. We want to help anyway we can.

Love you--Aimee (Grundberg)