Usually, my family’s State Fair visits primarily consist of abnormal amounts of state-fair-food consumption. (And by the way, what is it with EVERY food being deep fried? I can actually FEEL the grease wafting around in the air at the food court. We not only saw fried PB&J, but we saw deep-fried BACON. Not that I’m a healthy eater or anything, but REALLY? Do we really need to deep-fry bacon, people? Is this some sort of home-remedy for you freaks out there who are actually trying to GAIN weight? [I hate you, by the way]).
Anyway, I digress. This year we actually had more goals in mind than just fair food, and actually saw a few cute shows. There were these African Acrobats from Mapapa that were absolutely amazing. As they were jumping around, flipping and acrobating and I was thinking to myself “DANG! THIS is what the human body is capable of! I wonder if I still have time to learn how to do a standing backflip before I get too old and decrepit).

We also rode on the SkyWay, for the first time, and it was amazing. Nonsensically overpriced, but still really fun. I love amusement rides in any way, shape or form and it was very neat to be up so high, rocking from side to side, able to see the entire fair. Loved it. Sigh….how I miss the good ole Six Flags days.
Big Tex absolutely horrified Stevie. Evidently I’m not the only one who thinks Big Tex looks exceptionally creepy and somewhat menacing. (Did you know he started out as this big freaky Santa Claus?) It looked like this:

Anyway, afterwards, we just ended up buying some Lemon Chills and soaking our feet in the wading fountain. Oh, how the kiddos loved it. David abandoned all decorum and jumped in. (I don’t think he realized how cold it was going to be). But after awhile, we were all so hot, tired and grumpy that we decided to call it a day. You can only stand so much of the fair, after all. Especially when you're multiple sneezing and can’t find any tissue. Or napkins. …It was gross.
6 comments:
Oh, my gosh, a lemon chill sounds so good right now. Well, I'm glad it was (mostly) fun, and Big Tex IS creepy. I don't think we'll be going this year, money is low and walking is not my friend, but being reminded how hot and grumpy one gets makes it okay with me.
How fun! Two years ago we missed the fair b/c I was big as a house with Aube....last year we missed it b/c we were broke....and I am totally NOT missing it THIS year! I LOVE me some funnel cake!!
And because you had FUN and spent some FUN time with family...I GUESS you are forgiven ;). Kidding, kidding...can't harass a sickly! THIS WEEK, sweets...THIS WEEK we ARE getting together, no more of this SICK CRAP.
mmmm...maybe they'll have fried pickles!
Big Tex is a little scary.
Mmm, Lemon Chills and funnel cakes. You have to love fair/amusement park food.
How sad that I have lived in Texas for almost my entire life and I think I've only been to the State Fair once?! The boys got those free tickets from school this year so maybe I'll try to take them and go (they've never been).
I love Lemon Chills and funnel cakes. I went to the fair last year for the first time in a while with Ashley and a kazillion of her friends. I will definitely not be repeating that experience again this year.
Oh! We want to got to the fair so bad, but I am afraid of a bad experience, like say...sneezing the whole time! That stinks Jenny! But apparently those lemon chills are pretty good, so it sounds like you were able to salvage a bit of the trip with some nice relaxation! And um, I have pictures of Natalie cowering from Big Tex...he is loud AND freaky looking!
I'm with stevie... When I'm hot and see a nice pond I just think..."BOY THAT LOOKS NICE" and you know ... I wish I was a kid 'cause then I wouldn't feel so bad when I come out all soaking wet.
Post a Comment