Monday, September 29, 2008

Salvage

Steven left for League City today. He went over to the house to survey the damage. The food in the kitchen has begun to rot, and so its swarming with flies. All three bedrooms are pretty much unsalvagable. My computer, however, including my PC, monitor, printer/scanner and program CDs are all completely alright!! Apparently our trusty computer wardrobe (thank you, Walmart!) kept out the rain and heat enough to keep it all safe. Who'd o' thunk that plywood-and-glue piece of junk could have withstood so well? Also, our teeter-totter and all the stuff in the shed (including Stevie's bike) are perfectly in tact and usable, so that's also good news.

Steven said it looked spooky and horrible, but somewhat fascinating too. He's going to buy a pushbroom tomorrow to help sort through the debris. I personally wouldn't think twice about bulldozing the place and everything in it. Its all tainted now. I'd rather try to forget the things we had rather than try and put back together the broken, ruined pieces. It would just be too hard.

7 comments:

Shannon said...

I can imagine it was a bit like seeing a car accident, sad, but you can't look away! so crazy, that some stuff made it, but bummer for not getting to get a new computer! LOL!

Jenny said...

Oh, don't worry, we won't tell the insurance company. Besides...er...we already got a new laptop. SHHHH!

Simply Sarah *K* said...

Man oh man! What a sight that must be! Goodness gracious! :S

Jenni said...

At least the bike and a couple of other things made it and all your scrapbooking is safe on that computer.

Julie{isCocoandCocoa} said...

I can't even imagine. I think I would have the same bulldoze and move on feeling rather than trying to rebuild.

j janell cf said...

this is so crazy. i've wondered about you many a time over the last many years. your little boys are adorable. you live in league city? i was there last year. how random is that. my little sis was living there. i am so sorry about the ike damage--that is so scary. i hope everything is okay.
and i hope we can stay in touch!
love
janell

Solveig Atwood said...

Hey there Grundbergs,

I feel like such a jerk that I didn't even know that you guys lost your house in the hurricane until just now. I helped clean up after the flooding out here in the midwest this summer and it was awful...I can't even imaging how sad it would be to lose all your stuff like that! Great news about your computer though. I'll be praying for you guys that everything works out. Love you all!

Solveig