After breakfast, I rustled the kids up to the gym to complete my next two miles on the treadmill. I'm doing the Couch Potato to 5K program. I tweak it a little bit so I'm at least putting in 30 minutes each time. The first day I did it I felt like I would surely die, but today I felt like I was flying. I'm trying to make myself go slow, though, even when I do feel good. I don't want to hurt myself. I even bought myself some fantastically fabulous and consequently expensive running shoes this week so that I can run with the proper support (because heaven knows I need it).
Today was early release at Stevie's school, so we planned a trip with several families from church to go to the Alvin Bayou Wildlife Park. It was such a wonderful day to go, because it was a bit cold and we were the ONLY group there. No lines, no waiting. It was wonderful. I'm always surprised by the incredibly tender feeling I get for these animals---I just want to hug them and squeeze them and name them George. Stevie and David had a great time too(little Jake stayed home with Daddy).
By the time I got home I was exhausted. I seriously considered cancelling Steven and my valentine's day date at the stake adult dance. But believe it or not, Steven insisted we go. "How often do we have a fun Valentine's Day activity with our friends that costs absolutely no money?" He had a point. So Amber loaned me a red dress and I gussied myself up for a evening of dancing the night away.
We ended up having such a good time. So many of our friends were there, which always makes things twice as fun. We danced every single dance, as crazily as possible. I felt gorgeous--Steven looked smokin'. Quite frankly I thought several times about ditching the dance and finding a more...ahem...private location. But we stayed, and I'm so glad we did. I LOVE TO DANCE! (which is rather unfortunate for all the unlucky onlookers...)

We drove back to the house around 10:30 to the relief of our sweet baby sitter who had just encountered one of David's famous night terrors. After taking her home, Steven and I were still so wired that we stayed up almost all night. It was almost like those crazy college days...
All in all, a truly great day.
4 comments:
Derek and I went to our stake dance as well and even though he doesn't dance, we still had a great time and enjoyed the company of the other couples there. Isn't it nice to just get out sometimes!
Sounds like an awesome night! Dances are so much fun.
I might give your Couch Potato workout a try. I'm having the hardest time finding a workout regimen that fits my new life as a stay at home mom. And I've always wanted to like running...but have always hated it. what kind of shoes did you buy?
Solveig, you could totally smoke me I'm sure. I bought a pair of Mizuno Wave Creation 12 shoes. I ended doing the whole schmeil where you go the runner's store and get sized/diagnosed and all that good stuff. Turns out I have some serious overpronating issues.
You should give Couch Potato a try---they even have free podcasts so you can time your walk/jogs without going to the gym. You can find them here: http://www.podfeed.net/podcast/Podcasts+for+Runners/8216
I remembered the name of that other place. Arbuckle Wilderness. It just came to me as I was reading about your animal experience.
Post a Comment