This list changes all the time. But I do currently have several at the top, and here they are in no particular order:
How Green Was My Valley- Richard Llewellyn
I love this book for so many reasons---one of which is because it's completely peppered with little indeniable truths. Another reason is because I love reading the Welsh dialect. I also love how carefully the mother and father try and teach their brood of boys good, true principles. And I love seeing the world through the eyes of a young, still-discovering boy as he struggles to understand morality, beauty and sadness.
East of Eden- John Steinbeck
I love to read John Steinbeck's writing, even when I don't love the story. He's so brutally honest, perceptive and unapologetic. But this Cain and Abel baesd novel struck me and filled me with hope--Timschel! (Thou Mayest!)
Love in the Time of Cholera- Gabriel Garcia Marquez
No one character is particularly admirable in this book, but all are completely human. The unrequited love the main character feels throughout his life made my own heart ache for him.
The Remains of the Day- Kazuo Ishiguro
A book about the subtleties of butlery and decorum and reserve, and how the butler realizes in the end that his whole life has been dedicated to the service of a foolish man. It's definitely a book about self-delusion. The main character only reveals the information he wants us to know about him---just like we all do in real life.
My Antonia- Willa Cather
The writing in this book is breathtaking and I don't even know why. Maybe it's the simplicity. Whatever it is, all of Willa Cather's books (and I've read them all) are gorgeous.
Bridget Jone's Diary- Helen Fielding
I just laughed my butt of from page one to the end.
2 comments:
I loved watching James Dean in the East of Eden movie. That's what made me love all things James Dean.
I loved reading East of Eden. And I tried reading Love in the Time of Cholera, but couldn't get into it. Maybe I'll try again. I haven't read anything else on your list though, so now I have some more suggestions!
Post a Comment