Thursday, February 3, 2011

A Few Favorite Songs

I have an infinitely long list of favorite songs. But here are a few:

Black Sheep by Martin Sexton
Martin Sexton is an outstanding vocalist and all-around musician. But this song in general touches a tight place in my heart. I've always seen myself as a black sheep---not of my family, but of life in general. I think everyone feels that way to some extent. But the sentiment expressed is one of acceptance and freedom. I love it.

In Love With You by Erykah Badu featuring Stephen Marley
This is one of the sexiest songs I've ever heard, hands down.

Betelehmu sung by the MoTab
The first time I heard this song I nearly jumped out of my seat from joy. In fact, that's what this song embodies in my mind--joy in it's purest form. Watch the whole video--you'll jump up too.

Fidelity by Regina Spektor
I hear in my mind all of voices
I hear in my mind all of these words
I hear in my mind all of this music
And it breaks my heart, it breaks my heart.


WOW. Me too.

What a Good Boy by Barenaked Ladies
We've got these chains hanging around our necks
People try and strangle us with them before we take our first breath
Afraid of change, afraid of staying the same
When temptation calls, we just look away


AGAIN--killing me softly with their song---speaking the thoughts in my own brain.

O Magnum Mysterium by Morten Lauridsen
I sang this song for the first time in the BYU Concert Choir under the direction of Mack Wilberg. I have a feeling the songs sung by the angels at Christ's birth might have sounded something like this. So holy. Filled with awe and quiet but intense joy.

2 comments:

Jenni said...

I love music too and I feel that you are likely a much better person that I am because when I think favorite song I think Sarah or Ke$ha!

Julie{isCocoandCocoa} said...

Music is such a powerful thing. And I think Jenny is a better person that I am, too. Because Ke$ha is so much fun!