Thursday, June 25, 2009

THE KING OF POP IS DEAD


I have to say I’m unreasonably upset about Michael Jackson’s death. I have no idea why. I guess it all has to do with my childhood, and how when “Thriller” came on, I ran screaming to the TV, only to hide my eyes through all the scary part (because seriously, I’m a big chicken—I mean, the movie “Gremlins” was too scary for me…but I digress). I remember how stinkin’ awesome I thought the “Beat It” video was, and how I somehow felt vicariously cool when watching it.

Just look how many “Best Ever” songs he’s made---

Best Song Ever: Beat It

Best Ever Love song: I’ll Be There

Best Ever Halloween and Zombie Dance Song: Thriller (I mean, duh!)

Best Ever “Lovin’” Song: Rock With You

Best Ever Christmas Remake: Santa Claus Is Comin’ to Town

Don’t laugh, but I also used to get a fuzzy, warm feeling while watching the “It’s Black, It’s White” video back in the day. Kind of a whole “We are the World” sentiment, you know? I wasn’t a big fan in his later years, but I guess I just feel bad that he died so young and so weird, especially after having such a fun and bright persona as a child. It’s just a sad story.

4 comments:

Shannon said...

You worded it so perfectly, it's such a sad story. He had his heyday, and we all loved him then. Hopefully that will be what he is remembered for, not the crazy stuff that happened later on.

Amber said...

Yah, I couldn't sit through Gremlins either - had nightmares for weeks afterward... But Gizmo suckered me in cause he was so cute. LOL The stuff we remember...

Jody said...

I feel the same way! I didn't know I cared so much till he died. Its just sad.

Solveig Atwood said...

I was surprised at how sad I was when I heard the news, and I didn't even think I was that big of a fan. Maybe it was because Brady had been on a MJ kick recently and we'd been watching all the old videos...anyway it was sad.

And i hated Gremlins too...that gave me nightmares for years.