Tomorrow’s my birthday. Last year (my 30th birthday, and my golden birthday I might add) I was driving behind my dad’s U-haul and moving him to Galveston. My husband didn’t give me my present until a week after my birthday, and while it was nice and I loved it, I had to ask him for it and it STILL wasn’t wrapped (He said he was waiting for the right moment….um…that would have been on my actual birthday).
Well, darn it, this year I wanted an all-and-out nice birthday. Instead of letting my husband surprise me and therefore being somewhat disappointed, I decided to write a list. I mean, he can’t read minds, right? How is he supposed to know what I expect if I don’t tell him?
This year, the man has no excuse. The list I gave him was:
1) Any kind of family festivity wherein our kids acknowledge my birthday by singing to me over some sort of celebratory dessert.
2) WRAPPED present or homemade card from the kids to me. (I don’t care at all what the present is. I just want general recognition that yes, it is Mommy’s birthday).
3) A card from my husband (in his own handwriting) with a nice little note inside. I don’t care if it’s cheesy or trite; I just want something on paper (proof, if you will) in his handwriting saying he loves me…something I can read in future years and sigh over.
4) A DATE WITH MY HUSBAND (sans children!) Which may but not necessarily include dinner and a show of some sort (movie or other).
5) Number five is personal.
Anyway, as you can see, I’ve been fairly specific. Is it a lot to ask? Maybe. Maybe this was an extremely high-maintenance witchy and bossy thing to do. But at least there will be no miscommunication and therefore no ill feelings on a day that should be enjoyable and ire-free. These five things would all make me feel absolutely satisfied with my birthday. I have high expectations! We’ll see how well it works tomorrow.
5 comments:
First, Keiths 30th was his golden too! Second, that list fricken rocks! I am always dissapointed on my b day (I mean ALWAYS, every year, it is getting OLD), and i can't but wonder if it is b/c of the sad but true fact that Keith can't read my mind (though heaven knows he should know BY NOW what I want on my birthday!!!) I love, love, love your list. (you have such a way of articulating your words on paper too, btw). I think I may copy this from you, I kid not.
P.S. I am saving the "happy birthday" for tomorrow! So you better post! LOL
It's way too easy to get disappointed on birthdays!!! Seriously...I know I do every year, though I tell myself not to!
My hopes for you...on the eve of what will be a wonderful day....are that you get all that you rightfully deserve! Singing, cards, desserts, dates! ALL of it!
It's gonna be a good one!
Since it is now the 30th...
HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!
And I LOVE the list idea! I think I am going to steal it, too.
I'm giggling that you posted a 'personal' number 5. hehe Gotta love your list! Thanks for hanging last night. We had fun!
I am glad that we could all learn from the dissapointment of my birthday last month. Lists are good and we will all be doing this from now on.
Post a Comment