Sunday, July 27, 2008

Social Education....Or Lack Thereof

My social life in the ward is progressing slowly. I’m trying to be very brave about talking to people but it's scary because they don’t always react the way I expect them to. I’m trying to tactfully judge people’s personalities and see what kind of conversation they'd be comfortable with. Of course, Steven’s made a dozen friends and everyone already loves him, but it’s a bit more of a process for me.

I’m so easily intimidated by those that seem talented or successful or “with it.” The people I admire the most are usually the ones I’m terrified of. It’s ridiculous and sophomoric, and slightly reminiscent of High School, but unfortunately still true. I’m incessantly afraid I’m going to say something that accidentally offends, or prematurely reveals my general awkwardness. We’re also clearly one of the poorest families in a relatively wealthy ward, so that’s also uncomfortable.

But, like I said before, I’m trying. I have to continually remind myself that most people are good folks, and just want to get to know one another and have a good time. I have to get over that high-school feeling that all the pretty girls are laughing behind their hands at you, and to just go out and try to treat others how I want to be treated.

**Side note—we’ve been invited to dinner at the house of this girl that frightens me tremendously by her absolute coolness. Hopefully, I won’t turn into a shell-shocked mute who guffaws at badly chosen moments. We’ll see.

Sigh…its hard being the new girl. I’ve never done this before.

8 comments:

TexasRed said...

Hey Jenny!

Hang in there! I've been the new girl many many times. It is hard. But it will be ok. It just takes a lot of deep breaths and some time. In no time at all your effervescent and vivacious personality will have captivated your entire ward and all those scary-seeming people.

Quite frankly - I have always thought you were one of those talented, successful, with-it, pretty girls filled with absolute coolness! And I'm not just saying that either! :o)

Keep on the sunny side!

Mary

Shannon said...

UM, yeah it is HARD making new friends, but it sounds like you are doing great! I have been in Arlington 1st for 3 YEARS and I am just NOW starting to feel comfortable (all my own fault of course). I wish now I would have been more outgoing at first b/c I would have had so many more of these great friends I have now, for longer! Just remember, most of it is in your head, and if they seem weird and don't act friendly...who needs 'em!? LOLOL

Bonnie said...

Oh, it absolutely stinks trying to make friends in a new place. You always seemed like one of those cool girls to me too though, so I'm sure you'll do fine as soon as some of these gals have a chance to meet you. You have a lot to offer in a friendship.

elisa said...

Hi Jenny, sorry your feeling lonely but it's true that when you put yourself out there, you get good stuff back, so go to that dinner and be yourself, you are a cool girl!
Am i missing something about the Joy School we did?

~Darcy~ said...

I can't believe YOU are intimidated by people. You have so much talent and you are so beautiful. I hope you never felt intimidated when you were in our old ward! If you did I never saw it!

Jason and Jan said...

We can relate. We've moved multiple times during the past ten years and went through the "social adaptation" process for each ward. Our quickest integration into a ward came when we lived in DC--very social and the members were excited to meet new people. The most socially difficult ward we attended was in Springville, Utah. After attending for one and a half years, we still didn't know many people in the ward.

Hang in there!

Simply Sarah *K* said...

Sister, you go and get 'em! I hate being the new girl...we have been in like 6 wards in 7 years or something like that...and the hardest thing is getting to the point of finding those bosom friends. But don't wait! Don't doubt yourself...you have an AWESOME personality, conversing with you has been some of THE best I've ever had! Any of these chicks would be LUCKY to have you as a friend with YOUR absolute COOLNESS.
I'll always regret not getting to know you sooner!!

Jenni said...

It is funny how we son't always know people because I would have given an arm to be like you in high school. You had it way more together than I did. Or so I thought. Let me say you must fake it well, so you are set. Have fun.