Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Frustration Due to Lack of Preschool

How does one find a preschool that doesn’t cost a trillion dollars? There is, unfortunately, no preschool at the Recreation Center. I am sorely troubled by this. I was so anticipating putting Stevie in a class similar to the D.L. preschool in September.

I know that preschool isn’t necessarily a mandatory experience for Stevie. He’s very bright. He knows all his numbers up to 50 and is even starting to read. But for some reason I have this phenomenal urge to enroll him somewhere.

This is not, however, solely due to my obsessiveness. I can easily tell that he’s bored. He wants to be with other kids his age. When we pass by a group of kids from a daycare at the park, he’s beside himself with a longing to jump right in line and join in whatever fun they’re having. I don’t think preschool is necessary for his academic success, but I think it help and would also be a major boost in his social education. And for those reasons I’ve been searching.

Fruitlessly, unfortunately. For some reason I’m hesitant to put him in a preschool from a different denomination, especially seeing as how the really good ones down here are Baptist. I’m afraid they’re going to back him into a corner and yell “heathen, heathen!” if they find out he’s mormon. But I’m not sure that’s the case…I’m just antsy about how the whole religion thing works with regard to preschool.

But it’s that or nothing, down here. I guess I’ll just have to start calling around and find the right fit.

12 comments:

Sherry said...

Jenny,
When Kara was four, she went to a preschool at a local Methodist church and it was fine. I'm sure they talked about Jesus, but they were vague enough that it all fit (at least in her mind) with what we were teaching her. The real problems actually came in elementary school when she gave a friend a Book of Mormon and was told that the mother threw it in the trash and told the child that it was of the devil. That hurt a lot and I was sorely tempted to smack the mom, but I refrained. We were only barely acquainted, and I think I just avoided her completely after that. Anyway, good luck with finding a preschool--I think if you find good, loving teachers who will treat him well, that's the most important thing.
Sherry

Cheree said...

I’m coming out of lurkdom to leave you a comment on this one . . .

We Baptist aren’t all that bad! (I was raised Southern Baptist.) At the preschool level, in most Baptist (as well as Methodist and most other protestant churches), all that’s really done is a few “Jesus Love Me” songs, a prayer before lunch (typically: “God is great, God is good, let us thank him for our food. By His hand, we are fed, let us thank him for our bread”. Funny how I still remember it!) Oh – and when the kiddoes pray, they’re asked to close their eyes, bow their heads, and make a steeple with their hands (like you see in the golden book pictures). From the little I know about Mormonism, you fold your arms across your chest in prayer (right?). Your boys may notice this difference – but I’m sure if you told their teacher that this is the way they pray at home, then she shouldn’t try to “correct” them.
Of course, there won’t be mention of Joseph Smith – but other than that, any lessons would just be the typical “be nice to your neighbor,” “Jesus loves you”, “honor your father and mother”, etc. – which I assume is probably discussed in a Mormon preschool too?

I always get sad when I hear of stories like Sherry posted above. It’s very hurtful to know that people of other denominations so harshly judge other Christians. I myself am not Mormon – but wouldn’t ever insinuate that a Mormon is “less of a Christian” than anyone else. Just like I wouldn’t to a Catholic, etc. That type of behavior certainly isn’t taught in any church (or any respectable church anyway).

I also wouldn’t have a problem sending Caedyn to a Catholic or Mormon preschool if there was one around (actually – I’d prefer this to the non-religious school she’s going to now . . . because then she’d at least get some Christian teaching in during the school day). If this were the case and she asked me questions about what she learned at school (like Joseph Smith for example), I’d tell her that a lot of people believe X, Y, and Z, which is good – but Mommy and Daddy just don’t believe that part – and when she gets older – she can decide for herself what she believes. Anyway, just my two cents. I hope you guys find something that works for you and you’re comfortable with.

Jenny said...

Well if that's the case, I guess I shouldn't be worried. I figured that on the preschool level, the subtleties of religious doctrine wouldn't be an issue. I'm glad to hear that you, who were raised Baptist, see that Mormons are Christians. I was worried that there would be Stevie might be negatively singled out because of his being LDS. But in hindsight, I guess I was a little too defensive about it and need to realize that most people of all denominations just want to do their best to love God and their neighbors.

Cheree said...

I certainly don�t think any of the other preschooler�s would single them out! :-)
And I would be very, very disappointed if any adult did so � regardless of religion.

It�s always surprising to me when I hear of Protestants saying that Mormon�s aren�t �really Christians� because the underlying definition of a �Christian� according to the protestant faiths is someone who has accepted the message of Jesus Christ (and some denominations say you must be baptized too � but that�s another point). Anyhow, (from what I know anyway) Mormons accept Jesus Christ as their savior � so according to Protestant doctrine, Mormon�s meet all of the �criteria� � and then some. Of course, there are other differences (such as what is the Trinity, etc.) but, in my mind anyway, these things seem minor. I have a hard time believing God would accept some of his children and not others due to a misunderstanding of what the Trinity really is, etc.

I love talking about religion and learning of other religions (can you tell)? I could go on and on (James and Sarah are finding this out). :-)

Hey � Did I scare you off by asking if you wanted to meet for lunch or something when we travel to the coast. I guess it is kinda weird since I don�t really KNOW you guys . . .

Simply Sarah *K* said...

To me, it's always scary thought to send your children to another denomination for any reason at all. And not in the way where I think that Baptists, etc are BAD at all, but I would just worry what doctrine is being taught. BUT...on the preschool level, I would think that like what Cheree was saying, lessons would be very basic and uplifting. Preschool age children won't be prone to cornering your child and heckling...at least we hope not. Later on in life, that may start to happen, which is why I would be wary of sending my girls to things such as vacation Bible school.... just a personal opinion there. It's hard to put your child in a position to be called names by other children passed down to them by their parents. Especially when those parents should be teaching their children to love one another.

Simply Sarah *K* said...

and maybe...if you can't find anything better...start up a Joy School (yes, I remember how ours went, but maybe 2nd times a charm?? Ü) and rotate between 5-6 mothers, ya know? Or search Craiglist for your area and maybe a mom is having an in-home preschool. Alot of times mom's with teaching backgrounds and then teaching out of her home...they do a wonderful job!

Jenni said...

Obviously I missed the preschool phase. Derek sent Ash and her sister to First Presbyterian in Arlington and said that if we ever had kids that is where they would go regardless of demonination. From all the research he did back in the day he said it was the best fit and the most "generic" religiously.

Julie{isCocoandCocoa} said...

I never sent my boys to private preschool, but I've never talked to an LDS parent who sent their child to another denominations preschool who had a bad experience religion wise.
Good luck with the interviews, I'm sure you'll find somewhere great.

Jenny said...

CHEREE--NO, of course you didn't scare me off! I would love to have company ANYTIME because I'm so lonely down here!

~Darcy~ said...

I have the same problem with preschool for Nicky. Nic won't pay hardly anything for prescool because he thinks I can teach him all he needs to know! Well my ? to you is how did you teach him to count to 50?? Nicky can almost do 20. I feel like a bad Mommy now! We have been playing on Starfall and he really likes it but he is not even close to reading! I am very jealous of you at this very second!!

Jenny said...

Good grief, don't you dare feel like a bad mommy! Stevie just loves to count and is somewhat zealous about it. I'm so glad you like starfall. You should also check out the following DVDs: Leap Frog Talking Letter Factory and Leap Frog Word Factory. They REALLY taught stevie all the sounds of the letters.

Bonnie said...

I started Ren on Starfall too, now that we can't afford her private preschool anymore (which was non-religious, but run by a lady in my ward, and half of the teachers are LDS). She loves playing on the computer and asks me 5-6 times a day if she can "do her ABC's". I had some negative experiences with some friends of other Christian faiths who brought me to "deprogram your Mormon friends" conferences, but that was in High School, and I don't see something like that happening on a preschool level either. Some preschools at churches have an opt out for their religious classes. Other preschools just rent space in the churches and are not affiliated with them in any way. It's worth doing some research to see what's going on at the schools in your area.