Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Weltshmerz

I woke up this morning feeling truly miserable. Just achingly sad---for no tangible or definable reason. Steinbeck describes it perfectly for me in his book East of Eden:
It was a Weltshmerz- the world sadness that rises into the soul like a gas and spreads despair so that you probe for the offending event and can find none.

Well, this morning was definitely a Weltshmerz. I tend to wallow in it whenever it settles upon me, which leads me to indulge in various forms of escapism. It's hard to shake.

But it was completely dissipated after being able to talk with one of my dearest friends. Strangely enough she was having the exact same experience that day. So through some mutual therapy we managed to chase the black feelings away and set our thoughts onto other more positive paths.

And just a little later that night, the Weltshmerz was squelched once and for all when an email from a friend boosted my confidence and made me grin from ear to ear.

God always sends me relief through communion with the people I love. I'm thankful for that today.

1 comment:

Julie{isCocoandCocoa} said...

Steinbeck has a way of describing things.
I'm glad that someone was inspired to call you and help you through your day. I sure miss you.