Saturday, April 18, 2009

FLOOD

Steven, the boys and I decided to go to our favorite restuarant "La Brisa" for lunch today with my dad. Big mistake. While leaving the restaurant, the lights went out, and it looked like night outside. As we started driving home, it rained torrentially. I was praying the entire time.

When we got to HWY 3, we realized that the roads were flooding, and that our puny little Toyota corrolla wasn't going to make it. We ended up pulling in a church parking lot, and after many minutes of agonizing over what to do, we decided to walk home.

At first it was rather fun--walking through knee-deep water drifts while splashing around as much as we could. But then it started raining harder, so we decided to take shelter for a bit in the Dairy Queen until the rain died down.

While we were there, a completely wonderful couple named Tiffany and Robert offered to drive us the rest of the way home (because the flooding on 518 was pretty minimal). We were so incredibly grateful to be suprised by such kindness--I mean, seriously--these people allowed a strange, water-logged family of four into their leather-interiored car. If that isn't Christ-like, then I don't know what is.

As we turned onto Newport, we all groaned. The street was COMPLETELY flooded, and even had a car floating out in the middle. Tiffany and Robert wished us luck, and we decided to walk the rest of the way home--(it wasn't far).

Along the way, we helped the owners of the floating car push it up onto higher ground. Then we waded the sometimes waist-deep water all the way home.

The boys were such little troopers. I was so proud of them and their awesome attitude. It made it all seem like an exciting adventure, rather than a harrowing experience. But I'm glad it's over and that we're all showered and wrapped in blankets, ready to do some serious popcorn-eating and movie-watching.

The real question is: do you think we'll still have church tomorrow?



7 comments:

Simply Sarah *K* said...

Holy canoli! That is some major water!! How do people survive living in Houston? I think you should come back ;) hehe.

Big hugs! Glad ya'll made it home safely!!

Shelley said...

Wow, I can't believe you guys were out in that! We thought about braving the storm, but decided not to (for which we are glad, our road flooded too).

Bonnie said...

Umm...wow! I'm so glad you all are safe. High water can be very scary. How nice of that couple to help you all home. Is there any damage to your home?

Shannon said...

Holy crap Jenny! When I read "waded the sometimes waist-deep water all the way home" my heart just dropped for you guys! What an experience! But thank heavens you made it home safely and no worse for wear!

Jenny said...

No, our house is safe and sound, thank goodness! (Only the streets were flooded. So we only had to wade through water when we were crossing a street). You should see it today! YOu'd think it had just sprinkled yesterday.

Solveig Atwood said...

Oh man...that's crazy! What an adventure. I'm so glad your house didn't flood...fire and flood within a year of each other...that would NOT be fair!

Julie{isCocoandCocoa} said...

Wow!! I'm so glad that most importantly you, but also things like your house, are okay. What wonderful strangers!