Monday, April 27, 2009

Slow Going

Today I am extraordinarily unmotivated. I have a vague, nagging feeling that I need to get busy, but this feeling is not enough to actually GET me moving.

One of the hardest things I’ve (personally) had to deal with in my new career as stay-at-home-mom is time management and self-motivation. When you have a boss and a paycheck, the rules are already in place, and you’re directly accountable to your superiors.

Not so much at home (for me). I’m obviously just not much of a self-starter. I have a hazy desire for Steven to come home and see what a productive day I’ve had, but I have to admit it’s abnormally hazy today.

I have a to-do list eight miles long. I want to have a set house-cleaning schedule. I want healthy, timely meals prepared EVERY DAY (not just week-days). I want to spend activity-filled, educational days with my kids. I want to garden, to learn to sew, to play the piano, to take pictures, to learn carpentry. I know I should probably want to teach voice lessons (but I don’t).

I can just hear you now, after reading this: “Geez, Jenny, just get over yourself! Get busy and just do it! Stop whining!”

But here’s the thing. I just. don’t. want. to. Not today. Maybe not ever. It’s just one of those lovely days.

7 comments:

Simply Sarah *K* said...

I have the same list of "I want to..." it's insanely long, and I have a feeling it will never be shorter! What is it with being unmotivated? Some days I look back and think "oh wow, I got alot of Facebook time in...and...the dishes, wow". Oh well. I guess it just takes a deep breath and just DOING. If I can only get off this computer...lol.

I have a sheet that I made on Excel...so I could "schedule" my days better...but it's still on my computer, whoops.

Julie{isCocoandCocoa} said...

Ditto.
I think that about sums it up.

Jenni said...

Pretty much what they said.

You are not alone in this. I look at the dust in my bathroom or on the mantle and think, "I should clean this." That's where it stops. When I have five minutes that isn't for school or work, all I want to do is just sit still for a while. I do the laundry and nag others to get THEIR dishes done. (I'm never home to eat, ergo...) I would love to DO a lot of things and maybe when I don't have any kids at home or when Ash can drive, or when I graduate, or when...

Caroline said...

I have the same problem, but it was really bad about a year ago. Then last July it all came to a head because it was starting to cause some real problems with me and Jonathan. So I decided the conflict wasn't worth the mess, and I found this:

http://littleturtleknits.com/blog/2008/01/29/tutorial-tuesday-home-management-binder/

Her system looked great, but the best part was her Brain Files. I've adapted those to suit my needs and they work WONDERS! It only takes about 20 minutes every day to do a little something, and then I'm done with the chores for the day! Then at the end of the day I don't feel guilty about the fact that I haven't gotten anything done, and Jonathan is happy because SOMETHING that day got done, even if I am on facebook when he walks in the door ;o). And because there is a little something to do every day it doesn't seem so overwhelming (a key factor for me) and the house actually stays tidy. I have my bad days where I slip, but it is easier to catch up.

Then, when I've gotten those things out of the way in the first 30 minutes of my day, I tend to get that "motivated" feeling and going for a jog, doing a quick craft, etc, is just that much easier for me to do!

Just a suggestion. I HIGHLY recommend Little Turtle Knits binder system, though. Have a great day!

Simply Sarah *K* said...

Thank you Caroline!! That's awesome!

Jenny said...

Caroline, that is EXACTLY what I've been looking for!!!!!!!!!!! I've been looking online, checking out books from the library, adn I haven't been able to find ANYTHIGN like this! YOU ROCK!

Kelli said...

Except for some of the minor details - like subbing guitar for piano, etc., I feel the exact same way.