Sunday, April 5, 2009

Narrowly Averted Disaster

Yesterday David climbed up on our 8-drawer dresser and pulled it down on top of him. Fortunately, 1)our bedroom is small, and so it ended up mostly crashing into the bedframe instead of his body and 2)I was just feet away and was able to pull it off of him. He's fine, but has a nasty scrape behind his left ear and on the side of his left eye. He looks like was in a boxing match and lost.

Steven immediately attached all our dresser drawers to the wall using metal wall brackets.

The whole experience terrified me. Years ago, this exact same thing happened to a family in our Stake with tragic consequences, and it stayed with me every since. I just snatched him up and held onto him for dear life after it happened.

He was so scared, bless his heart. A huge thing just had just fallen on him and Mommy was acting crazy. I'm just so thankful he's okay.

9 comments:

Carina Olsen said...

Oh my gosh. I'm glad he's ok. What a scary experience for the little guy!

Jenni said...

We are all so glad that he is okay.

Shannon said...

Oh! Jenny! that IS scary, I have heard horrible stories too, and that is just...oh! Hug that baby boy tight and thank heavens he is ok!

Kristy said...

What a blessing that he is okay! I have also heard of horrible consequences from that kind of thing. You just never know, life can change in the blink of an eye. So happy someone was watching out for your little guy!

Sherry said...

I remember when that happened in our Stake and it's always stayed in the back of my mind as well. Bookcases particularly always worried me. It's absolutely amazing what kids can get into. I'm just so thankful that David is fine and you have secured everything else.

Amber said...

So glad your cute boys are ok. How frightening!

Julie{isCocoandCocoa} said...

I remember that story from the family in the stake, too. I'm glad that everyone is okay.

Mandie said...

Oh! I'm glad he's okay! Every time I see my kids climbing up something I think about the Petersons. Its so scary when you hear about fatal accidents in the home; the one place that's supposed to be safe. I try not to think about it though, cause I could seriously get paranoid about anything and everything!

Kelli said...

I can't say anything more than what's already been said, but what a relief he is okay.