Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Good Friends

We had a very busy day today, as we were saying our goodbyes to several different people. In the morning, we went to the Rec Center for the last time and had lunch with my friend Mary and her little boy, Stevie’s friend Dallas. She gave me the sweetest card and despite my remonstration even had little gifts for the boys. I was overwhelmed.

In the afternoon, I went to Stacie’s for one last fabulous cut (and fabulous it was!) I told her to cut it short, because who knew how long it would take me to find such a talented (and affordable!) hairstylist again! Stevie and David played with Clayton and Little Jack, and Stacie (that tricky girl) ended up comping me the cut. Thank you, Stacie!!!

Lastly, I met up with Sarah for one last mini-girlz night dinner and a possession exchange (it seems I had accumulated her beach towel and quite a few of her books!) She gave me the sweetest, most thoughtful little homemade book she had made for Stevie. It meant so much to me I almost cried right then and there. Inside, she had pictures of all Stevie’s little friends: Jared, Bella, Clayton, Ewan, Natalie, Jack, Brady, Aubree, Ben, Fynn-- all his little friends interposed between these words:
You may be going on a
New adventure far away!
But we will miss you and
Friends we will stay!
Just tell yourself, Duckie,
You’re really quite lucky!
Today was good,
Today was fun.
Tomorrow is another one.
Think left and think right
And think low and think high.
Oh, the thinks you can think up
If only you try.
From there to here,
And here to there,
Funny things are everywhere.
We had a wonderful time together. When I got home, I gathered everyone up and we read the little book and looked at all the pictures of Stevie & David’s friends. Stevie’s lip began to quiver, and I think he finally started to understand that we’re saying goodbye for awhile. Steven and I just started boo-hooing at this and we all hugged and had a little cry together.

Thank you, friends, for being such good ones.

6 comments:

Simply Sarah *K* said...

I just want him to remember that he is LOVED (as well as the rest of you!) and to recognize some faces when we visit Ü!
Faaaaaaabulous haircut, good job Stacie!!!

The Eldredges said...

What a sweet gift! I just love the little poem!

We are going to miss you guys SO much! Thank goodness for blogging!

Shannon said...

Ah! We ARE going to miss you! I still can't believe you are going! BUT blogging will keep us all together! And isn't Sarah the bestest?

Kelli said...

Jenny! I'm so sad we didn't get to say a proper goodbye! MEEP! I'm so glad you have that nice book Sarah made, she's so talented. I just love you to death, and I'm sooooo going to miss you. I hope we can see you soon in the future.

Bonnie said...

I am so sad that you are gone, but we can still do our digiscrapping over the miles. Speaking of which, check out IkeaGoddess as soon as you get your internet hooked up. I'm on her listing!!! (For Monday June 9, just in case you can't get on for a while.) Just send me your questions and I will help you with anything I can. I hope you all settle in nicely to your new place. :)

Missy said...

We need a Grundberg update!