Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Unwelcome Internet Fast

I know I’ve been impressed by some of you for going on “an internet fast,” but unfortunately, my current one is not so much an exercise in self-mastery as it is an unavoidable annoyance. On Monday, I excitedly called the idiots at AT&T, only to find out that they don’t service League City. Wha??!! I live in League City, TX, not Mozambique, Africa. How can they not service us? There are 67,000 people in this town!

And believe me, not communicating via Internet (as I was doing in Arlington, like, 110 times a day) has left me quite bewildered and at quite a loss of what to do with my free time. Yesterday I baked a 6-layer cake and re-grouted the bathroom (total lies).

In a nutshell, we FINALLY arrived in League City at 9:00pm Saturday night. I drove the entire way with the kids, and someone had accidentally packed up our portable DVD players so needless to say, they were in an unpleasant mood.

There was an entire ONE guy from the ward to help us unload (bless his heart, we were so grateful for him!!!) I think we were a little spoiled after the tons of help we got packing up (by the way, thank you SO MUCH Keith, Shannon, Mike, Julie, Phil, Shana, Paula, Pat, David and oh shoot, if I forget someone I’m going to feel like a real toad).

Because the 4 of us (the 4th being my Dad) didn’t finish unpacking that night, we decided our ox was sufficiently in the mire and skipped church to unload the rest of it. We’re more or less settled in, but without the Internet, I feel like I don’t know where anything is or even how I can find out! I did find the local library, however, and already got a card and 3 books. I’ve barely seen my husband in the past 3 days, but I’m sure he still looks the same.

Anyway, all is well (except for a magnitude of exotic bugs that despite screens and so forth INSIST on showing up in the most unwelcome places (i.e. the shower, my pillow). I probably will be posting sporadically at best because of said Internet debacle, but I’ll do my best!

8 comments:

Caroline said...

Sorry about your pesky bug problem. Hope that clears up soon! Pillows should DEFINITELY be off limits to bugs. Glad the move went well (despite the lack of dvds and helping hands).

Simply Sarah *K* said...

OH!! Im so glad you made it there safely!! And I FEEEEEL for you w/o a DVD player, you are a marvelous woman to have made it thru that drive ALIVE!
I'm so sorry no one was there to help :( don't they know who they are dealing with?? I'm gonna have to call the bishop!! (Which is what my dad did when we moved to Texas!)
We still love you here...and miss you...keeping you and your family in our prayers! I KNOW it will get better and you'll just have to get DISH and get your internet and DVR thru there Ü hehe.

Shannon said...

Yes, I am so glad you made it! I am so sorry about the DVD players, but hey at least it will be a good sotry to tell and it is OVER! I can't believe only ONE guy showed up! That is just wrong! Miss you already and I have been checking your blog every day for good news, you HAVE to get the internets! Someone must offer service it would be a very scary town if not!

Julie{isCocoandCocoa} said...

You posted (aka you made it there safely and you're alive)!!
Good luck with the internet thing, and I hope you can figure something out soon because I've been checking your blog everyday too waiting to hear what you're up to. Otherwise I might have to use that antiquated thing called a phone to keep in touch :)

Bonnie said...

I too have been checking your blog every day for news that you all arrived and are well. I'm sooo sorry to hear about the internet thing. I know it shouldn't be that big of a deal, but I am totally addicted and if I was forced to go without I might actually have to find new hobbies. :( I would be very sad. That also stinks about the DVD player being packed away for the trip. I don't know how people made cross country trips with small children before that particular technological advent. Goodness, I'm glad you are relatively well and settling in. I hope that your new ward turns out to be amazing and wonderful, and that you find a way to keep the bugs at bay.

Kelli said...

Yay, you posted! It's so great to "hear" from you. That stinks about the bugs and the lack of help. But so glad you are safe and with your family. Love you, miss you!

Jenni said...

I know things will settle out and I'm so glad you made it safely. (without that DVD player that "safely" might be a relative term.)

Mandie said...

Action packed! Can't wait to hear more updates.