Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Starfall Rocks the Casbah

If you’re looking for free educational computer games for your kids, I cannot say enough about www.starfall.com. I’ve never seen something that so effectively teaches pre-reading while being fun at the same time. Stevie was on it for at least an hour today.

Stevie is almost reading. He’s incredibly interested in words, and is constantly trying to sound them out. Because he learned to sound out words phonetically (thank you LeapFrog Letter Factory DVD), he kept getting tripped up on sight words, or ones with silent letters. But the Starfall games helped him with that quite a bit.

We went to story-time at the public library today, and while it was not as bombastically joyous as good ole Mr. Bob, it was VERY well done and I’m excited about it. It’s well-organized and Stevie loved it. They put all the words to songs, etc on an overhead projector so all the parents can sing along. There’s this one song that my son found particularly hilarious:
A-tooty-ta, a-tooty-ta, a-tooty-ta-ta
(He’s obviously made the connection to our family's word for you-know-what.)

On a different vein, if you’ve ever wondered what Steven’s dancing looks like, here it is. Something that I’m sure you’ll treasure forever (I know I do).

4 comments:

Jenni said...

I thought the dancing was awesome.

Simply Sarah *K* said...

That dancing is HILARIOUS! LOL.
And good job STEVIE!! WE LOVE YOU!!!!

elisa said...

Very funny! Glad you are connected again! I've been slacking on my blog so maybe I need to update too!

Shannon said...

OK, that was just cute! And I can totally see you dancing like that too! And I will have to check out that website, sounds fun!