...or so it would seem.
Last year I was all over Christmas. Besides going to every single Christmas activity available in the Bay Area, we made cookies, gingerbread houses, hung Christmas lights, made ornaments with the boys, played Secret Santa, read a Christmas book every night, etc., etc....
This year I feel like the move has gotten in the way a bit. We've been so worried about putting our house together that we haven't set aside a lot of time to feel, oh, I don't know,...Christmasy.
So we made a start on Monday night. For FHE, we retold the Nativity story using our Nativity figures, and we wrote down one thing that we were going to give Baby Jesus for Christmas (trying to get the boys to understand THAT concept was a bit like pulling teeth. David wanted to get Him a racecar).
Next, we sat down and wrote letters to Santa Claus, complete with envelope and stamp and a trip to the post office. (This last activity was mostly just a sneaky way to find out what the boys couldn't live without present-wise).
But today I'm back to feeling bogged down by everything that needs doing, and I don't want to feel this way. But at the same time, I want to get all the gifts delivered, cards and pictures sent---I want everyone to have that yearly feeling of being "remembered" by the Grundbergs.
You know what I really want to do? Go Christmas caroling--straight out of the hymn book. Followed by some nice and hot wassail to drink. And I want to watch Mickey's Christmas Carol. And wear Christmas pajamas.
And I want my heart to catch in my throat while pondering how His gift ended up making us all aware of that spark of goodness that's inside every human being---the one that makes us just want to Love and Give---even if we don't always remember the reason why.
4 comments:
You are so wonderful...and I think you have more of that Christmasy feeling than you think ;). Hope you get to go Caroling. The Christmas James and I were dating, we went to a YA activity where they made us carol outside of Target. haha.
Moving can always throw you off, it makes everything so crazy! Your one step ahead of us with the letters to Santa!
don't have the excuse of moving. I have not put up one single Christmas thing and if the tree goes up, it will likely be because Ash does it. I''m really not feeling it this year.
I've been blaming being pregnant on not feeling Christmasy this year. I've been so preoccupied thinking about having a baby it's good Josh is here to make sure the tree and things got up. And now that the baby is here it will drastically changed how much running around I can do, and how much energy I have to do things around the house.
All of that to say, I'm having trouble capturing the Christmas feeling this year, too.
Post a Comment