Thursday, December 24, 2009

Christmas Eve: Long, Exasperating Post

Christmas Eve was very perplexing. But it all turned out good in the end—thanks to my wonderful little family.

Lately several things I’ve tried to plan end up blowing up in my face, and tonight was no exception. I had initially thrown around the idea with a friend to get together for Christmas Eve to hang out and play games---just a fun, casual night. She had to double check everything with the hubby just in case. I waited awhile and didn’t hear from her, but didn’t think too much of it.

After awhile, I talked with my dad on the phone, and ended up deciding to go with him to see the Dickinson Festival of Lights and go to IHOP afterwards. As SOON as I got off the phone with him, I notice that there was a message on my phone---my friend, saying that everything was “go” for tonight—which she had left on my phone 2 HOURS EARLIER.

So now I'd managed to double-schedule our day. For some reason, this made me have just a teeny mental breakdown that I tried to hide from the kids so they wouldn't notice Mommy had gone bananas (just chalk it up to hormones+Christmas pressure+being an emotional basket case in general). I ended up cancelling with my friend (whom I love dearly and really wanted to spend time with), and press forward—planning on spending time with my family that evening.

Well, as time went on, it got WINDIER and WINDIER outside. I mean, CRAZY-PSYCHO-TORNADO windy. Morning had been pleasant as punch, but as soon as it comes time for us to go to the festival of lights, a stinkin’ windstorm starts tearing League City apart. Of course.

The temperature drops and drops, and by the time my dad gets here it’s a whopping 42 degrees, with the wind chill making it feel subzero. After struggling with politeness for a moment or so, my dad admits that he’d really rather not spend the evening freezing his rear off in a park somewhere, and seeing as how he sort of has the Christmas Eve blues anyway, he decides to just go home.

So THAT was the sucky part of the day. Now on to the next part.

After much persuasion from my hubby and a bit more freaking out on my part, we decide to just stick to the dern plan and go to the festival of lights. Even though we were bundled up enough to face an Illinois blizzard, we were completely FREEZING! But the kids loved it, and oohed and ahhed in all the right places, exclaiming at the lights displays and running up and down the paths. David finally broke down and stuttered, “I’m c-c-c-cold, I want to g-g-go home.” Stevie, on the way out, said, “We had such a wonderful time here!” Both comments were strangely endearing.



Once home, it was time to open our one Christmas Eve gift. Everyone got new Christmas pajamas (except for me, who had received some pajamas as an early Christmas gift—instead I got to open some silver earrings!)

After putting on our new pajamas, we all headed to the kitchen to make “snowman soup” for the kiddos and drink some delicious Stephen’s peanut butter hot cocoa for mom and dad.


Next, we made some cookies for Santa, and called Grandpa Ron on the phone to wish him a Merry Christmas Eve.

Afterwards, I watched “Mickey’s Christmas Carol” with the kids. By this time, they were very sleepy, but not too sleepy to check online on the Official NORAD Santa Tracker to check on Santa’s progress. After seeing that Santa was ALREADY in DETROIT, Stevie hurried everyone off to bed.

Though nothing went as planned, and I admit that I’m glad this day is over, I’ll also say that I’m glad it ended so sweetly with my fellers all around me. I love my precious little monsters. And my precious big monster. All is well. More later on the big day (YAY CHRISTMAS!)

1 comment:

Jenni said...

The nice thing about GOOD friends is that they understand that sometimes, things just happen. I'm glad that the evening turned out well despite the rocky patches.