Sunday, October 4, 2009

General Conference

Today was truly marvelous. It was my turn to sleep in, but I just can’t sleep past 8am anymore. Due to the rainy, lazy weather, the kids ended up sleeping until 9:30. So I had some time to myself to just read and think.

General Conference was wonderful today. Two talks really stuck in my mind. Firstly, President Monson’s talk during morning session. He told the story of Jack MacDonnell, a doctor he knew who was particularly devoted to service. He talked about how every day, Brother MacDonnell would come home and ask his children, “And what did you do for someone today?” He talked about how the children, anticipating their father’s question every day, would strive to have something worthy to report. Over time, the desire for a favorable report turned into a true love of service. I thought that was a really inspiring and wonderful way to introduce and teach your children about serving others.

The second talk that really moved me was by (of course) Elder Jeffrey R. Holland. The MoTab sang a rendition of “O, Divine Redeemer” right before his talk, and while I’m usually not a fan of that song, it absolutely BLEW ME AWAY. Mack Wilberg continues to amaze me with not only his fabulous choral arrangements, but the tenderness and musicality he so aptly expressed through his conducting. The entire experience was inspiring.

Elder Holland is always a powerful speaker, but today he was absolutely electric. His talk was a dynamic and unapologetic testimony of the Book of Mormon as the word of God. He spoke of how his grandfather had put it so simply, “No bad man could write it, and no good man would if it wasn’t true,” and of how ludicrous it would be to think of Joseph and Hyrum, considering all they sacrificed, as scoundrels. He spoke so strongly about how the Book of Mormon is undoubtedly the Word of Christ.

I was so comforted and strengthened by his testimony. I felt like I was being spoken to personally. There are many times when I discount the sacrifices made by the early members of the church. It made me want to weep when I thought of what was necessary to bring the restoration to pass, or to think that I could waver over any basic truths of the gospel. His talk really helped me put things into perspective, and gave me a clear and strong peace that this IS Christ's church and His work, and that I MUST work to improve my own testimony, notwithstanding my snail’s pace, for the rest of my life. It’s talks like these that help me know that Heavenly Father will answer my questions and prayers, and that He needs me to keep trying, and to do my part. It felt personal--like a scolding and a hug all at once.

1 comment:

Jenni said...

Isn't it nice to feel that good, even while you are thinking of things that you can do better?