Friday, September 25, 2009

T-BALL

Here's "The Team"
We finally signed Stevie up for T-ball! And he loves it. Mmmm, no, that's not the word--he's fanatically happy about it, and every day he asks me if it's the day of the "Big Game." (I think he got that phrase from watching 'Chicken Little').

Here's Stevie looking suprised he hit the ball.
As many or all of you know, Steven and I are not terribly sports-inclinated folks. Sure, we both appreciate sports--we're just not athletes per se. But we realized that at least for now, our boys both really want to be--and being able to find joy in being active is something we want both of them to have.

Of course I waited until the last minute, and consequently waited too late to sign Stevie up for anything. But luckily, my friend Marby told me there was a space open on her son's team, and they needed an extra player. Hallelujah! Now he can play T-ball AND be with one of his friends.

The coach is really awesome. He spends a lot of one-on-one time with Stevie, and I feel like Stevie's really learned a lot. And the absolute best part of all of this is how well Stevie is taking constructive criticism from his coach. The coach words everything just right-- doesn't baby talk them, but says everything in a way to show he cares. But he'll make Stevie repeat an activity until he does it right--and Stevie doesn't cry. His face doesn't even crinkle up--he just takes it like a man. I'm so proud of him.

Here's Stevie pow-wowing with Coach Joe.
And here's Stevie getting distracted during a pow-wow with Coach Joe. :)
During the first practice, they were running the bases and trying to catch the person in front of them. Well, after rounding 1st base, Stevie BIFFED it, and I mean hard. And he didn't cry! He just jumped up and kept running, and the kid behind him STILL couldn't catch him. That's my baby!

Everyone was saying that Stevie was fast! I guess all those times imitating "Dash" from "The Incredibles" was good practice!
David just can't wait for his turn next year. During practice, Steven will take David aside and practice catching and throwing with him--oh, and "baseball ready." (That's where they wait for the ball with their legs spread and their hands on their knees). It's adorable.

It's been a great experience so far. And I'm with Stevie--I can't wait for the first "Big Game."

5 comments:

Carina Olsen said...

Sounds like fun! Go Stevie!

Simply Sarah *K* said...

So cool! Run Stevie run!! :) He even looks like Dash.

Sherry said...

Just wanted you to know I've been thinking of you....last night Annabel and I went to see "Menopause: The Musical." I know your mom would have loved it and so would you. We laughed and laughed.

I love reading your blog and keeping up with you and all your boys. They are super cute. Thanks for sharing!

Jenni said...

I know what you mean about the sports inclination. I have none and then I get stuck in this family with Derek and Ash and obviously they have it coming out the ears.

Julie{isCocoandCocoa} said...

He looks like he's having a good time! And that's the most important part.