Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Preschool

So this year, some ladies in the ward got together and decided to try a preschool co-op. We have about 6 little kids, all of who will be entering kindergarten next year. We have “school” on Mondays and Wednesday for about 3 ½ hours each (I know it seems long, but the last ½ hour is for the kiddos to each their lunches like “big” kids. Seeing as how kindergarten is a full day here in League City, we thought they might as well get used to it. Plus, they love their lunch boxes).

Each mom teaches for one week (2 days). This is nice because we only have to teach once every six weeks, and our kiddos have the benefit of school and peers every week. Plus, it gives us (the moms) a little free time and allows the kids to get used to being without mom.

It’s gone really well so far. Stevie, for one, absolutely loves to go to preschool. He’s one of the older kids in class, so at times he’s a little restless from eagerness to get to the next task, but all-in-all, he loves it. And I am continually blown away with how crazy smart this kid is. He just breezes through every activity. And I think the social education of regularly being with his peers will be incredibly good for him. He has such a sensitive little heart, and he doesn’t always pick up on social clues. This will give him lots of practice, and hopefully help him not to take things so personally. Man, I love my sweet little Jingles.

I taught my first official “week” of preschool, and boy-howdy was it a doozy. I of course waited until the last possible second to construct any type of lesson plan, and then proceeded to stay up until the wee hours of the night getting all the materials together. But overall, it went surprisingly well. I found a great book, “The Giant Book of Kindergarten Activities,” to help me out. I also found some things on the internet that were helpful.

Monday went better than today, though. And I’ve realized it’s all because I was in a better mood on Monday. Today I’ve got a bad case of the hormone-related blahs, and it really showed in my teaching. The kids, fortunately, were as chipper as ever, and didn’t seem to notice my many flub-ups.

I’m really excited about this. It’s hard work but it’s going to be worth it. And plus, I don’t have to think up anything else until October. Phew!

A few samples of Stevie's work:

Tracing the Letter "E"



"The Rainbow Fish" Art Collage



Feelings Face Mask--Stevie chose "angry" for some reason

3 comments:

Julie{isCocoandCocoa} said...

I'm glad that you found a group to do preschool with! I always wanted to do preschool with my kids, but there were never enough kids their age to get together with. Maybe with the next one! And by then you'll be a pro and can pass some tips along.

Jenni said...

Maybe he can make me a feelings mask for whenever I have to deal with the baby-mama.

Bonnie said...

I'm participating in a joy school too, but we could only scrounge up 3 kids (including Ren) for the class and we only meet once a week for 3 hrs. She's still pretty excited about it, although she keeps telling me "it's not a real school".