Thursday, September 3, 2009

The Grundbergs Go to Carlsbad Caverns

Disjointed Vacation Catch-up---

We sidetracked on our way home and decided to drive over to Carlsbad Caverns. Who knew when we were going to be in the ole southwest again, and so we thought we’d better cram in as much as we could--and cram we did! We zoomed over New Mexico at break-neck speed in order to reach Carlsbad before closing. (Props to Steven).


Yes, I'm usually not a fan of the whole "scenery-without-any-people-in-them." I mean, I can see pictures like that on the internet. But I couldn't help it--it was just too friggin' awesome.

For some reason, I have a million pictures where Steven is making this strange Elvis-like face. It must be his thing. I'm also diggin' Stevie's pirate stance.

I apparently decided that this enormous, phallic-type stalagmite was picture-worthy

Try looking past the annoying blare my camera flash gave at the amazingness behind them. It was just awe-inspiring--straight out of Lord of the Rings. Steven and I decided this is what Mordor must of looked like (THAT'S RIGHT, WE'RE LOTR DORKS!!!!)

This picture was an attempt to use the "night vision" function on my camera, in order to capture the absolute awesomeness within.

There's a reason I'm smiling so broadly--it was only 59 degrees down in the caverns. I was ready to hike all day. Not really, but theoretically.


In summary, Carlsbad was probably the most amazing thing we saw on the trip. I was dumbstruck by the whole thing, and we only got to see one teeny section of the Caverns. I'd like to go back someday--but not anytime soon.

2 comments:

Jenni said...

Well it looks really cool and I would have annoyed my family with a million random things I learned in a recent Geology class.

Julie{isCocoandCocoa} said...

It looks amazing!