Sunday, December 14, 2008

Christmas Activities


Well, taking the advice of Amber, the boys and I decided it was time to do some baking and make Christmas Cookies.

It was quite the endeavor.

The boys helped with making the cookie dough (boy, were they excited about the handmixer), cutting out the cookies, decorating, and generally trying to make as big a mess as humanly possible. (The flour was also a great favorite. It was mostly used to adorn my kitchen floor).

It was really fun to mix all the food coloring and make little creations together. Stevie was a MAJOR fan of the sprinkles. In fact, most of his cookies were comprised of a bit of icing with 100% sprinkels coverage. (Notice the flour crusties in his hair).
David was much more interested in eating the cookies than decorating them. In fact, he thought it was a good idea to take one bite out of each cookie and then start on a new one.
Here is some of his handywork.
It took me an hour and a half to clean everything up afterwards. But it was worth it. The boys were crazily excited the entire time. Afterwards, however, all three of us were so sugar-shocked that I'm pretty sure we're all diabetic now.

The boys and I have also enjoyed unwrapping the Christmas book every night and reading it before bed. I hope it will take some of the edge off of the whole presents hysteria on Christmas Day. It's really sweet to have them both in my lap, and to see them so engrossed. This is one Christmas Activity that I think we'll turn into tradition.
(Seen here reading "Angel Pig and the Hidden Christmas" by Jan Waldron--a really great book)!

6 comments:

Simply Sarah *K* said...

Now THAT is a fantastic idea...unwrapping the books! I know that you've said you were doing that, but I guess it just now sunk in how marvelous that idea is! Ü

Sherry said...

I"ve retired from the sugar cookie baking now that my kids are all grown up, but hopefully I can join Julie and they boys when they bake next week. I still do some baking, but not the time-consuming stuff. Old and lazy, I guess......

Shannon said...

Looks like so much fun! And I do LOVE LOVE that idea of a new Christmas book every night! I may have to do that next year. Great idea Jenny!

Julie{isCocoandCocoa} said...

The cookies look yummy!

Jenni said...

That looks like such a good time, although I am sure that even though Ash is way older, she would still be sampling cookies and making a huge mess as we went!

Bonnie said...

We did that with a gingerbread house for FHE Monday night. Ren was so wound up that she was literally bouncing off of the walls. Seriously, she'd get a running start and slam into the wall and fall into a heap on the floor! I'm glad you all had so much fun. :)