Saturday, February 9, 2008

Low Key Catharsis


Last night we went over to the Lundells for a BBQ and chitchat. We had a really great time. Stevie and Jared immediately dressed as superheroes the moment we arrived (Jared as Mr. Incredible and Stevie as Buzz Lightyear). David even put on a little superman cape. Too incredibly cute, actually. We even got them to flex their muscles.

Playtime at the Lundells was extremely therapeutic for me. I’d been kind of down and lonely all week. All in all your typical self-throwdown (or funk, if you will…they come and go but it never seems that way at the time). I’d been having a tough time with Stevie, and I was actually to the point of checking out the want ads.

Being the mom, you’re so often the bad guy. You’re in charge of letting them know they can’t punch people indiscriminately, shouldn’t leap wildly off of tall furniture, and can’t eat only fruit snacks all day, every day. All day long I repeat the word “no,” and then get my feelings hurt when the kids run screaming to Steven when he gets home from work. (Not that they shouldn’t, I just wish they wouldn’t do it like they’re escaping from a POW camp or something).

Jan L. is always such a great pick-me-up because she validates all my secret guilty feelings. She also makes me understand that no, CPS isn’t going to be at my door any minute and no, Stevie doesn’t have some mysterious development/behavior/brain deficiency that even the doctors don’t know about yet.

It’s so nice to have someone to identify with and help you put things in a better perspective. I was letting myself become overwhelmed by some very insignificant things. And honestly, whenever I’m feeling down, it usually turns out to be a direct consequence of focusing on myself too much. Not always, but usually.

By the way, new hair cut. Very short. Eek!

12 comments:

Kelli said...

Oh, my gosh, I love the hair! Looks fabulous. And you are such a great mom. We all go through those funks, and it's so good to have girlfriends to get us out of them.

Shannon said...

Ok, first cute hair! Second, I have SO been meaning to set up a play date with you some thursday with Brady, becasue Nat is in preschool till 1. We have to do it! Get these rowdy boys together for some good old play time!

~Darcy~ said...

I love your haircut! I also love your new picture with the boys!

Simply Sarah *K* said...

Yay for pictures! Your hair looks awesome, I love it and reminds me that I need a trim..LOL.
I have to nod my head in agreement when you talk about having to say "no" all day...then watch them run to the Daddy! So frustrating! Bella has started to tell James lately "Mommy not nice"...THANKS KID Ü.
I'll have to get you over here one day so Bella can have someone to jump off tall furniture with...we'll be on the sidelines with the bandaids.

Bonnie said...

We need to get together one of these days with the kids. You will totally feel better about your parenting skills after hearing about some of my stories. :) Love the hair. I'm thinking about going shorter too.

Unknown said...

Wow -- I've never seen you with such short hair! I like it! You are one hot mama, if I do say so myself :)

Missy said...

I know it's weird to say I understand when I don't stay home... But I secretly like working for that same fact, that I get the super happy Ben when I get home and all he wants to do is play all night with me till bedtime and I don't have to be bad guy all day long (honestly I'm not very good at it). But oh, what I wouldn't give to be able to be home with him all day and enjoy that time that I just don't get. It's a double-edge sword. Be thankful you can stay home because your kids will love you for it. They love you more than you probably realize and Stevie will be in school before you know it!

And your hair looked really cute at church today!

Jenny said...

missy--I've totally been there. I know what you mean, because I worked until I had David. I think that's why I think about working so much. But then again, you're right about it being a double-edged sword, too.

Mandie said...

Ooo! Love the hair. I'm so jealous that your hair has stayed blonde. Mine keeps getting darker with each kid and I'm tired of highlighting it.

Oh my gosh, I think EVERY mom is insecure, sensitive, overwhelmed and afraid their children aren't normal. Or at least I am. :)

Jody said...

Your hair is the BOMB! Its been a long time since I've seen you with short hair... middle school? I'm very excited to see you Wednesday!

Jenni said...

Derek and I subscribe to Darwin parenting. That means if our kid is smart enough to survive to adulthood, she deserves to live. JK but it is usually harder than it seems it should be but I promise it will get easier (or at least your problems will get so different you will look on these days with longing) as they get older.

elisa said...

Cute hair! Jan is sweet. Funny how a blog can be so therapuetic (?)