Have you ever felt like you’re running out of good books to read? I’m almost positive I’m never going to find one that knocks me off my feet ever again. Every book I read lately leaves me feeling sort of “eh.”
One of things that really gets me is a book (or a movie) that tries to substitute good writing or story or whatever with graphic sex and gore. I know this is just my personal preference, but it’s just gets so tiring. We get it…sex and gore are outrageous, explicit, or my all-time favorite cop-out--'real.' Honestly, it just seems like lazy writing.
I’d also like for authors to stop writing characters or situations in which they have no personal experience. When reading, you can just tell when someone really has no idea what they’re talking about…when they’re incomplete or worse, inaccurate. And my biggest pet-peeve is agnostic authors trying to write a pious religious character. They just can’t get it right, and the struggles their characters have with their faith don’t ring true. They’re always missing major details. So please, if you’re not sure you believe in God, please stop writing through the eyes of a devout Christian, Muslim or Jew.
I want a good story and true writing. I want characters who are beautifully flawed and complex but who I can commune with regardless. I want to truly understand points of view. I want to be left breathless now and again by poignant truth or heart-stopping reality. And yes, I’ll admit it, I want something… anything in the book that can move me to genuine (and not generated) tears.
Disclaimer: I have never tried to write a novel, and therefore realize I have no idea how much it entails. I do know that to even attempt to write a novel is an amazing accomplishment. Just don’t ask me to like it. And definitely, definitely, don’t ask me to try and write it myself.
9 comments:
And, you authors out there, don't try to impress with overwrought situations, emotions, or analogies. And please, spare me the "deep, meaningful" descriptions of everyday things that DON'T EVEN MAKE SENSE. It doesn't make you deep or meaningful.
oooo...you should come browse my book shelves. But you have read SO many, I don't know if I'd have anything new for you!!
And you have read SO many good books, I am very impressed...surely something I would love to aspire to! :)
Kelli-WORD (as in, to your mother)
Sarah- I'd love to browse your shelves! Kelli's already told me that i need to read "Lonesome Dove," but I promised myself I wouldn't start it until I finished the 4 books I'm reading right now, and it's been taking me forever
My niece, Randi, really loves this series of books by LDS author Brandon Sanderson, particularly the Mistborn series. I haven't read any of them, but they're fantasy-type novels and she's not a fantasy type reader but loves these books. I plan on borrowing them! I honestly don't read a lot. I still have 3 Jane Austen books I have to read since my best friend read ALL SEVEN Harry Potter books just for me! I will be reading the new John Grisham book as soon as my mom is done with it!
Oh no, Jenny, did you start Twilight? It is a book for pure entertainment. I am way too easily entertained when it comes to reading, as you can tell from my goodreads list
Oh, Twilight series was so good! Easy reading and not a lot of thought, though some of the characters bugged me a bit!
Oh, let me tell you...i just started Twilight and it's a super-fun read. i'm a little in love with Edward, i think. but after all her descriptions, how could you not be?
The Kite Runner, and A Thousand Splendid Suns. Very good reads, couldn't put them down. I've been in a good book slump to lately and have been doing crosswords puzzles instead. (I think this could go back to your when did you quit being cool blog)
I agree about the Kite Runner being a good read... also I really enjoyed "The Road" but make sure you balance that book with anti-depressants...
Post a Comment