Tuesday, February 19, 2008

At what age does one cease to be cool?


I’ve guessed that for me, it must have happened around 28 or 29. I could have sworn I was cool before then, but that could very well just be wishful thinking.

My husband and I met in a band; my band, in fact. That’s right, folks; we were part of the wild and crazy Provo, Utah band scene. We played at such debauched and hedonistic venues as The Wrapsody or BYU Fall Fling or in someone's backyard. Okay, so we weren’t the most extreme music scene on the planet, but hey, we were in a band. That’s cool…right?

It was called “The Rosenbergs.” Not because I’m a communist spy sympathizer, but because I had a strange fascination with “The Jerky Boys” and “Saul Rosenberg” (this was a mid-90s phenomenon, children).

We had Josh the bassist, Mags on percussion, Jared on drums, Carrie on backup vocals and me on rhythm guitar and lead vocals. I could never find a really good lead guitarist, though, until Steven Grundberg magnanimously offered to play lead for us. He was fabulous, as you might imagine, and thus our romance ensued.


We even recorded a CD and sold around 200 copies. It was called “Space for Rent” and had all original songs on it. I guess a ‘chick band’ (as we were so labeled because the front-man happened to be a woman) was kind of vogue, or at the very least an oddity. We won 3rd place at the 1999 BYU Battle of the Bands.

College is one place that makes it easy for you to get together with people of similar interests and create surprisingly amazing things. And even though you know what you make probably isn’t life-changing or even important in the grand scheme of things, it’s an indescribably great feeling.

But then it seems we all grew up and got married. And doing so doesn’t easily lend itself to our once uncontrived coolness. Besides no longer having a venue to play to, we’re much too mom and dad-like to be authentic these days. To even try and dredge up all that nonsense is dumb and a bit pathetic, I know. But sometimes I really miss it…nostalgia overwhelms me and I want to be onstage, tearing up on my guitar with a microphone in my face and dancing people out in the crowd.

19 comments:

Shannon said...

Jenny you are so cool! You have all these super fun secrets (or just not well known facts by me anyways!). Rock On Girl..er Woman!

Bonnie said...

You are still extremely cool in my book! I didn't know you were in a band, but you have always had an amazing voice, so I should not be surprised. I feel the same way sometimes. It seems to me that I used to have so much more personality before the kids left me with only enough energy to check my friends' blogs and go to sleep at the end of the day. :)

Simply Sarah *K* said...

THAT IS SO AWESOME. where can I get me one of those CD's :)?!
And you are still WAAAAAYY cool, dont forget it!

Jenni said...

How cool is that. I never knew that. I thought the coolest thing about you is that we got married one day apart!

Missy said...

I think that's cool, too and agree with Sarah that we are all going to need copies of this CD as proof. Or you can just stream it on your blog for us! :)

Missy said...

Imposters!

http://www.therosenbergsband.com

Did you know that The Rosenbergs were also a spy couple for the Soviet Union. That's funny!

Kristy said...

You are so cool, Jenny! I want a CD too! Is there anyway to get one. The song I want more than anything is you singing Rivers of Babylon!

Lena said...

Jenny! I just want to say hi!! I didn't know you were in a band. I think you should put a song or two in your player on your blog so we can hear. BTW- I am Jan's visiting teacher! ISn't that who you said used to be in your ward?

Kelli said...

Um, to echo everyone else, copies of the CD immediately, please.

Anonymous said...

Maybe one day they'll do a VH1 behind the music on you guys.

elisa said...

i like the cover of the album, very indie rock!

Mandie said...

Oh, I would miss it too! I was never cool enough to be in a band. :) I've always secretly wanted to be a lounge singer though. I'd settle for singing at Barnes and noble with a pianist and an upright bass behind me. That would be so cool...

*sigh*

I'd like to hear this CD too!

Jenny said...

Mandie, ME TOO! Wouldn't that rock the house...singing in your own little jazz ensemble? I have a friend who's actually living the dream....oh, well, when we all get to heaven it's going to be just one awesome performance after another, right?

Unknown said...

JENNY!!!

Jenny said...

SHUT UP! IS THIS JARED YOUNG?

Unknown said...

It is jared young!! NO WAY ITS ME!!!

Jenny said...

What a very strange way to communicate with you, Jared Young!

XwordRaider said...

Jenny quote from high school that has stuck with me through the last 14 years... "why do I always get the newest cool thing when it's no longer new and cool?" (this was in reference to Timberland hiking boots in Mrs. Fairchild's history calss) I remember this because this seems to be the cycle I have been in for the last 14 years. For some reason I think of that often and always get a laugh. I still think I'm cool...

Jody said...

Hook me up with a CD!!