Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Meaning of "Grundy Love"

Grundy. In the midwest, it's the term for a monster wedgie. It was also my husband's nickname in high school. And I guess I inherited it through association.

In college, I wrote a song for Steven called "Grundy Love". It was a big crowd pleaser--an upbeat little pop number that used to make him smile. Cheesey words and super sunny 3-part girl harmonies. I think the cheery, shiney-happy-people words of the song described our carefree relationship, but at the same time shamelessly let him know he was the one.

Yes, I know I've been the taker.
I drank your kindess from the spout.
Yes, I know I've been the fighter
Bit through your words before they'd even left your mouth.
And yet through all my noise and nonsense,
You always smile and laugh at me
Oh, sweet lover, don't mistake me
There's not a moment of your kindness I don't see

You go and take my troubles from me
I've laid my burdens at your feet.
I rest my head upon your shoulder
You sing me love songs slow and sweet
I do believe you are an angel
You're nothing I have ever seen
Oh, sweet lover, I've converted
Your love has made a true believer out of me

And everyday, I smile and say
That you've made an honest woman out of me
And though I've roamed, I'm finally home
You are the last love that there'll ever be.

So let me take your troubles from me
Come lay your burdens at my feet.
Let me tell you that you're beautiful
I'll sing you love songs slow and sweet
'Cause every minute I am laughing
And any second I could cry
Oh, sweet lover, what you do to me!
You're finally here, and you're for real and I'm alive

And everyday, I smile and say
That you've made an honest woman out of me
And though I've roamed, I'm finally home
You are the last love that there'll ever be.
You are the only love I'm every gonna need
You are the last love that there'll ever be.


There--it's recorded for posterity. Cheesetastic McGee, I know! But I honestly still feel this way about the big lug. And I feel like the love has just expanded to my kids. Family is a strange thing. I'm so incredibly bound to them. So I guess nowadays, all 5 of us gotta whole lotta "Grundy Love."

1 comment:

Simply Sarah *K* said...

love it!
Thats a number 1 single right there! :)