Friday, October 29, 2010

Pre-Halloween Festivities

Late Sunday night, we heard the doorbell ring. We opened up the front door, and no one was there--just a fun gift bag filled with goodies. Inside the bag, there was a note telling us we had been "Boo-ed" and a sign to put in our front window. We were supposed to make 2 goodie bags and secretly deliver them to 2 neighborhood friends. We ventured the task Monday night...

We waited until we had the cover of night. (The greatest of secrecy was required, of course). I'm sure no one was suspicious of a family of five strolling around outside in the dark.


I don't know why my heart always pounds so much when we do any kind of ding-dong-ditching. I don't know what kind of reaction I'm expecting---maybe an angry old woman coming at us with a broom? At any rate, our deliveries were ultimately successful.


And because we spent Family Home Evening night "Boo-ing" folks, we furiously carved our pumpkin last night in order to have it on display for Trunk-or-Treat. The boys were horrified by the pumpkin's innards---Stevie actually got quite upset when we suggested he touch it with his hands. And even though I completely washed the seeds, added butter and salt and toasted them perfectly, they wouldn't DREAM of putting them in their mouths. Hadn't I seen where they'd been?!!


Stevie decided on the mouth, I got to choose the nose, and David picked the mouth. Daddy, the muscle of the group, was left to be the official carver. The boys stayed close by to supervise.


The finished result:



2 comments:

elshmobelsh said...

very spooky pumpkin. now you need to post some trunk-or-treat pics. ;)

Unknown said...

I like this "Boo-ing" thing! I'll have to try it next year. . .
That is hilarious how horrified the boys were by the pumpkin's innards! I'll take their portion of pumpkin seeds anytime ;)
Mags