SEWING CLASS
I finally girded up my loins and signed up for a sewing class. It’s great because the instructor (who really is an excellent teacher) realizes that it’s more of a “sewing for dummies” class, and therefore uses tiny words and speaks very slowly to all of us. The other 3 girls in the class and I are greatly appreciative of this. So far, I have learned such mystical terms as “bobbin spool,” “selvage” and yes, people—even “backstitch.”
As a matter of fact, I’ve not only mastered threading and unthreading my sewing machine, but I’ve even sewed my VERY FIRST (and absolutely perfect, I might add) hemline on my pattern-assisted pajama pants (which is kind of ridiculous when I think about it, because we took my ‘measurements’ when I was 7 months pregnant, so these pants aren’t going to fit anyone by the time the class is over). Nonetheless, I’m extremely proud and can’t wait to find out where to buy CHEAP FABRIC so that I can keep practicing.
BABY JACOB
Yes, I’ve been making Baby Jacob, and while this may seem painfully obvious, it’s actually taking quite a bit of work. And by work I mean sleep. No, really, I truly have been knocked off my feet these past few weeks with exhaustion. And the icing on the cake is that my belly-button (which used to be so cute AND an inny) has herniated, which makes walking, standing or even sitting in certain positions a challenge nowadays. I feel like I’m going to turn inside-out, and that any day now I’m going to hear a loud “pop,” and there will be Jacob’s foot or hand or whatever appendage he’s decided to punch against it. In fact, my doctor advised me yesterday to start taping it down with surgical tape and medical gauze---which is what I’ve done and now I look….well, let’s just say the bizarre picture is complete. But it does feel a little better.
The good news is that my doctor scheduled a delivery date for Jake---March 18th. That’s only 6 weeks away! It was very happy news.
IN A SLUMP
I got sick this week, and therefore haven’t been that productive (and I mean even less productive than usual). Top that off with money being tight and you have a Jenny who’s longing to go back to work again---which is of course the most impractical thing in the world right now with the baby coming, except for the money part. I’ve also been unusually hermit-like which always compounds the problem. But truthfully, I don’t feel like I’m much fun to be with when I can’t really comfortably DO anything except sit around.
I wish the weather wasn’t so rainy and cold so I could at least let my boys play at a park while I sit on a bench somewhere. They’ve been such troopers, and I’m lucky they’re good at entertaining themselves.
The solution to my Debbie-Downerism is to work as hard at the things I CAN do, count my many blessing, and of course, have the baby.
4 comments:
Good for you for taking a sewing class!
I could go for a nice snooze right about now...too bad babies don't make for good sleepin'!!
Oh, Jenny!! I really miss you! Hang it there and don't feel bad about not getting everything done - you are doing a really big thing. Baby Jacob has some serious growing to do before his birthday next month.
I know what you mean about the slump, something about this weather just makes it hard to be productive.
Just think about all the things you will be able to make once you have completed bobbin winding and macine threading 101! I'm proud of you.
Post a Comment