Thursday, February 25, 2010

Look, Television Set...

No matter how often you try and shove it done my throat,

1) Cheating on your spouse (or even entertaining the thought) is NEVER OKAY!—I don’t care HOW many outlandish, apologetic scenarios you dream up. There are too many people’s lives at stake, and there are some times in life where you just say no. Period.

2) “Going Green” will never be more important than moral integrity and human kindness. So just keep that in mind as you continue to try and soothe your conscience by making environmentalism and naturalism the new world religion.

3) Women and Men get old and ugly. And believe it or not, people still love them. Because contrary to what you seem to preach, there ARE more important things than being forever young and beautiful. So please, for the love of Pete, stop trying to convince me that I need to look 20 at age 40 and that my worth as a woman has some sort of expiration date.

4) Believing in God does not equal ignorance. And just because you’re religious does not mean you automatically hate/discriminate/disapprove of all other religions and lifestyles and are tolerance and empathy-free. Please stop trying to assuage the guilt you feel for repudiating your own childhood religions by insisting that ALL religious piety is short-sighted and nothing more than a crutch and a blindfold. Oh, and P.S.—Agnosticism is a cop-out.

There. I feel better now. It’s fun to yell at imaginary adversaries.

11 comments:

Julie{isCocoandCocoa} said...

I love this list!! I can't count how many times I've thought/yelled at my tv the same things.

Shannon said...

Amen sister!

Rachel said...

Couldn't agree more! #3 especially speaks to me. I find that the less I watch TV, the more I like myself.

Simply Sarah *K* said...

I remember as a kid, I had a friend whose mom took a baseball bat to the TV because she was fed up with the content! lol. Watch out!

Jenni said...

Maybe you should just stick to watching the Olympics. lol!

I do agree with this. My favorite is when the husband leaves the wife after 20 years or something for the 12 (ok 19) year old bimbette and the wife is all, "What do I do now?" Well for starters smash his windshiled and throw bleach on all of his clothes while dancing around your front yard in pajama pants. That ought to give the neighbors something to talk about.

katdance13 said...

Jenny I agree 100% with everything you say. I've just never been able to verbalize it with such eloquence. I'm printing this out so I can use it in future discussions. You Rock!!!!

Sherry said...

My only quibble is with the agnostics. I actually think it is a more intellectually honest position than atheism. Atheists say there definitely is no God. You can't prove that intellectually any more than you can use intellect to prove that God does exist--that is a matter of faith. I much prefer it if a person says, I don't think God exists, but I can't/won't rule it out, so I'm an agnostic. Anyway, that's my two cents. As for your other comments--AMEN sister!!!

Jenny said...

While it's true that agnosticism may be intellectually honest, I find that Hollywood uses it as an excuse for inaction. Refusing to take a position may be honest, but it's lazy, and it also makes it easy to rationalize your behavior. (Hey, God will forgive me if I say "I wasn't sure.")

If you consider the ramifications of claiming there is or isn't a God, deciding that you believe one way or the other definitely mandates that you act accordingly. Hence my position that agnosticism = cop out.

Sherry said...

True, and Jesus did say that he would spew out the fence-sitters. But, in real life (not Hollywood), I would rather talk to people who at least give God a chance. I figure I might be able to get through to them, whereas the "definitely not" people won't even listen if you bring up religion. The "maybe" folks might be reachable....

Unknown said...

Right on! Ditto! Amen! You said it!

Unknown said...

AMEN! Thanks for putting it out there, sister!