Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Independence Day Goings-On

We started off the day at the Ward Indenpendence day Breakfast, where we crammed our faces with free foodstuffs, and Steven did a rollicking rendition of "The Battle of New Orleans"...on ukelele. Everyone loved it because he's such a hilarious idiot.

We actually skipped the parade this year. I really felt quite guilty. But when the time came around for us to go and stake out a place in the 100 degree weather, I just couldn't bear it. Maybe next year.

We did, however, make it over to the League City Citizen's Appreciation Day. It was a great little festival, and moreover--everything was FREE!

We started it off with a hearty round of bounce-housing--


And followed it up by a visit to the petting zoo (WHERE, by the way, they had an adorable pot-bellied pig that I actually wanted to cuddle more than eat--if that's indication of how cute the darn thing was. And this is coming from a pork chop lover, folks).

Afterwards, we loaded the boys up for a pony ride. Stevie was a natural...

David was a bit more cautious, but he did give the pony a heartwarming "goodbye" when the ride was over.

After the free hotdogs and snowcones, it was off to the gazebo for animal balloons and face-painting. Or arm-painting in the boys' cases. Here they are, sporting a wicked mad tiger and a skull-and-crossbones (they were feeling PRETTY cool, I tell ya).


Dad and Joey came over later for a little 4th of July BBQ. It was a delicious dinner and utterly not guilt-free dinner. After dinner Dad, Joey, me and Stevie had a little MonkeyBall tournament on the Wii (in which Stevie absolutely SMOKED all of us. Still fun though).

Joey and Dad headed back to Galveston after dinner, so we decided to head out to the Nassau Bay Fireworks with the Renshaws. We were VERY pleasantly suprised. The crowd was minimal, the breeze was refreshing out their on the Bay, and there was plenty of room for a blanket and chairs on the boardwalk. Here's me, evidentally making a saucy remark...

We were right by the water, and actually spied a few fish jumping out of the water in patriotic zeal.

The Renshaws were nice enough to give the boys a few glowsticks to play with, and they got pretty creative...


Here's Steven going for a special effect...

The fireworks were great. The boys were really cute about, and Stevie even said "Thank you so much for taking us!" There was a lot of ooing and ahing too. Very adorable. For some reason, I tried to take a picture of the fireworks, until Steven looked at me and said, "Hey, why don't you watch them instead?" I guess in my posterity-recording frenzy I got a little over eager.


All in all, a lovely day. Sweaty, though.

4 comments:

~Darcy~ said...

You are so cute!! I wanted to take pics of the fireworks too!!

Anonymous said...

We should have come with you!! We drove around Kemah for an hour looking for somewhere to stop and watch before we gave up and went to Chilis. It was still a good show from the Chilis parking lot though!

Jenni said...

Sounds like a really good day. I'm glad the boys had such a great time and you look so cute in that picture where you are making saucy remarks.

Julie{isCocoandCocoa} said...

The festival looks like so much fun! And how awesome that it was free! Glad you had a happy 4th!