Monday, May 25, 2009

Karaoke Fun

On Saturday night, a few of the ladies from church went to Pepper's for Karaoke night. Our awesome friend, Anna, is moving to Boston, and so this was one last hurrah before she left.

I almost didn't go. It seemed scary for some reason to get all dressed up and go "out"--I was too old, I was too mom-ish, I was too un-cool--my excuses were endless. Truth be told, I just didn't want to go alone. Luckily, Marby texted me and offered to pick me up. (By the way, I feel super cool talking about "texting."--it sounds so hip--like I'm 16 and trying to hide my cell in my purse during chemistry class).

ANYWAY, we ended up going and it was an absolute blast. Karaoke is such a bizarre phenomenon--a bunch of strangers standing up in front of one another and trying desperately to remember words to songs they thought they knew but don't. Quite the spectacle.

There we were--a bunch of sober Mormon gals sitting up front and center--the rowdiest ones in the bar.

It was incredibly hilariou. But most of all it was just great to go out and do something DIFFERENT with friends. I got to know a few girls that I NEVER KNEW were so insanely hilarious (that's right, I'm talking about YOU, Monica!)

Our performances were as follows:

Young Love -- Diana
Why Haven't I Heard From You--me
Word Up--Arlen (who is actually Tracey's husband and just happens to be a karaoke buff. You should have seen him own the place when he performed!!!!)
"We Are Family"--All of us. We knew the chorus just fine, but totally forgot how the verses went. It was a train wreck but tons of fun.
"Baby Got Back"--Monica and Marby. (This was definitely the highlight of the evening. They were SHAKIN' IT! Both moms, by the way. I was laughing so hard I think I peed a little).
"One Week"--Cami (who woulda thunk she could recite ALL of those crazy words).
"I Feel Like a Woman"--Amber (who protested continually that she sucked and then went up there and shamelessly rocked the mic).

Anyways, I don't know if I'll do it again soon, but it was definitely a must-have experience and I loved it.

Marby and Me sporting our huge, insane grins

Me straining to hit a high note--or something

6 comments:

Shannon said...

Aww! That look super super fun! Looks like a great group of ladies, and looks like a blast! You are adorable, by the way.

Jenni said...

That would have been worth the drive to see. I love singing in a bar!

Marby said...

Great post Jenny. By the way - since I'm helping you come out of your shell, what time do you want me to pick you up for softball tonight?? Text me...

Sherry said...

Hey, even an old lady like me can text now! And your evening out looks like an absolute blast. We did karoke for Lauren's graduation party and it was great fun. One of these days when you come north again, we need to get a group of crazy Mormon women together and try it out. Thanks for sharing your fun night.

Simply Sarah *K* said...

That looks like so much fun! If you do it again, you better give us some advance notice...looks like Jenni and I will be driving down to witness Ü. Love it!!

Jenny said...

ONCE AGAIN, Sarah and jenni, DON'T TEASE ME! I'm gonna go karaoke singing again NEXT MONTH just so I can get you two down hear! :)