Steven struts in on Friday night and brings home this little prize. The kids were floored, of course, but Mommy was not initially as ecstatic. Steven explained that he had gotten it for free at work (cage and all), and had decided the kids needed a pet.
Well, Hammy's cute and all but let's face it, she's not much of a pet. She's a Russian Dwarf hamster, which means she's basically the size of a peanut, and I bet she's spent her entire miniscule life burrowing into cedar chips the second a huge, bulbous face started knocking on her cage. But hey, we were excited.
Anyway, Steven went to PetCo yesterday and bought an adorable TINY little hamster ball for Hammy to climb around in. So today the boys and I put her in the ball and had a hilarious time.
That is until Hammy hurls herself at the wall and her ball busted open. The force of it sent her sprawling on the floor. For a moment we all looked at each other...Mother...boy...hamster...and then insanity ensued. She's tiny, but she can RUN! I kept having horrible thoughts of her meeting some fella from the neighborhood and filling my walls and attic with mice/hamsters progeny. So we all three began chasing her wildly, screaming with abandonment the entire time.
After scuttling around for at least 15 mintues, we finally trapped her under a bowl and put her back in her cage. Mommy has told the boys that Hammy's "resting" and that can't get back into her ball right now.
So....I'm off to clean the hamster droppings off the dining room floor.
6 comments:
oh my gosh! i can see you guys running around like mad people after this tiny creature! what fun! David look so HAPPY in that picture! Here's to many more wild escapades with Hammy!
(did you get my phone message?? little black dresses at tar-jhay, VERY cute, and inexpensive)
Pore little guy. I can just imagine how scared he may have been. Not to mention the look on your face when he broke out.
I can't imagine the excitement (sheer terror) of having her escape from her ball! I'm glad that everyone is back safely where they belong. She is pretty cute.
Oh Jenny you are a better mother than I!
She's so cute!!!! I love her. I'm trying to get our gerbils to like us and let us hold them. I still have a ball in the package for them - I'm a little nervous to actually attempt to put one of them in it!
Kelli- i ended up putting the cage in the bathtub (with the drain plugged), and opening the lid so she could get out. then I just put the ball in there and she crawled right into it! Which is a good thing, because I was a little too scared to pick her up. Isn't that ridiculous? That's why it took so long to catch her, too. But seriously, they have sharp little teeth!
Post a Comment