Monday, February 23, 2009

Disjointed Catch Up

Wow. That’s actually two Family Home Evenings in a row! Don’t laugh, that’s a record. Hopefully we’ll keep this up. Incidentally, if anyone has a hard time explaining the scripture stories to their little ones, you can go to the church website and get the scripture stories in video format. They’re lifesavers.

Stevie went to a skating party last Saturday, and had a really great time. He wasn’t necessarily a natural, but he was willing to strap on those skates and give it a whirl. And though he hung onto the side for most of the time, he had an absolute blast and has been asking when we’ll go skating again (eek!).

It rained like crazy on Valentine's Day. We love to look out our big back window and watch the rain. The boys will just crawl up in the recessed window sill and sit and sit.

It's Crane Fly season. I hate crane flies. They are constantly getting in the house/car, and bobbing spookily up and down, casting weird shadows on the wall. They're just freaky (especially because their uncanny resemblance to enormous blood-sucking mosquitoes.

David, however, has a love/hate relationship with these creatures. Some days he'll run in the house yelling "BUG! BUG! BUG!" in a terrified voice. And then other days, he'll do this:

I guess curiousity prevailed.

11 comments:

Simply Sarah *K* said...

OK, so #1...did NOT know those were Crane Fly's...and they are majorly annoying and scary. ;)
#2...skating looks like so much fun! We'll have to go when we come visit!
#3...Those boys are dang cute sitting in that windowsill!!
#4...GOOD FOR YOU with your FHE-self. Bravo!

Marby said...

OK, that is what I was going to say. I never knew they were called crane flies. I always have called them mosquito eaters (not that I have ever seen them eat mosquitos??).

Carly said...

I am so glad I finally know what they are called!!! I have been calling them Mosquitoes on steroids. they are awful! ha

Jenni said...

The very first activity that Derek and I did when I finally met the girls was skating. We took them to Arlington Skatium and it was good that we all had the distraction of trying to stay upright to take some of the awkwardness out of the situation.

Keithaniel said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Shannon said...

um, those boys in the window are just too cute! And yeah, gross gross on the crane fly/mosquito eaters, I am NOT a big fan! I do love how boys are so brave with interesting things like bugs!

And can i just give a WOO HOO for Stevie even attempting to skate? That is so cool, and such a big boy thing! I love it!

(if i post ONE MORE comment as Keith I am gonna scream...sorry about that!)

Carina Olsen said...

I'm with you Marby, My family calls them mosquito eaters (but I have a scientist for a hubby, so her quickly corrects me)

Boys are so funny. Oh the things that they will do.

Jenny said...

Yeah, I actually still call them Mosquito Eaters too, but Steve always corrects me (and I say, "thank you SO much for correcting me, Steven, people REALLY like to be corrected"

Julie{isCocoandCocoa} said...

I've called them crane flys, mosquito eaters, and daddy long legs.
Good for Stevie with the skating! I can't skate to save my life (and have therefore never taken my kids).

~Darcy~ said...

Nicky has been asking to go skating for a while now too! I am not sure how he learned about it but it must becsomething about the age!!

Kelli said...

Boys and bugs are the best. ONe of the cutest things ever. My dad always called those mosquito hawks. I will call them that until the day I die. I've even heard of another name for them other than what's mentioned here, but I forget what it is...