Monday, October 6, 2008

Waiting Game

Steven drove back to Arlington on Thursday night. He’d exhausted himself running around League City, talking to the insurance agents, harassing FEMA, digging through the wreckage and putting salvageable things in storage. He drove all the way back to Arlington in his un-air-conditioned car (of all the things I wanted destroyed in Hurricane Ike, it was that idiot car. Of course, it survived with just some minor damage).

But he just found out around noon today that he’ll be expected back at work tomorrow! He’s homeless, with a wife and two small children, but they want him there bright and early, regardless of whether or not he slept in his car. I know for a fact that other people in his department, who incidentally still have habitable houses, have been allowed to work at home via remote access. So why is my husband, who just started this idiot job 3 months ago, an absolutely indispensable employee all the sudden? Oh well…they have a company to run, and I guess someone has to be there.

So I will stay here in Arlington with my brother and Steven will drive back to League City and stay with friends. There are just no hotels or apartments to be found down there. EVERYONE’S been displaced, and so all temporary living spaces have been filled. We don’t know what else to do. I guess it will be sort of romantic…. having a long-distance relationship for awhile. Thank goodness for our friends at church who’ve been willing to house a refugee or two.

We’re just waiting for the Emergency Rental Locator person (who will be helping us find a temporary apartment to stay in until we can find a house) to call us up.

All this waiting is turning my hair gray.

6 comments:

Julie{isCocoandCocoa} said...

So Steven does have a place to stay? I know it's a little weird to stay with people you've never met before but I do have family in that area I can call upon if you need me to.

Jenny said...

Yes, he's actually staying with his friend from the ward. Thank goodness!! But that Emergency Rental lady better call us soon!

Shannon said...

Ugg! That is so crazy that they called him on such short notice! I am so sorry for all the waiting, I hope it is still a bit vacation-like for you!

drivenwide said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Jenni said...

Maybe this is y'alls version of going back to get the plates or something. At least it's not a tent in the wilderness, right?

elisa said...

Hi Jenny, I'm so sorry about all the messes. Some people are just going crazy. We have had our credit card numbers stolen twice in the past month. Crazy. Have you heard of Lifelock? There is also an insurance for fraud- Family Secure.com .
We are praying for you guys.
Would you call me please, I have the City application for babysitting, if your still interested.... I think you could start working in a week, if you turn in on Monday. I'll bring it to church if I don't hear from ya.
By the way, Zumba will start in Nov. Tuesdays at 11am.
Would love to see you!