Friday, October 3, 2008

Correspondence

Dear Credit-Card Thief,

Curse you! You couldn’t have picked a worse time to steal our credit card and run up thousands of dollars of charges! I was at Target on Wednesday with an abnormally enormous cart full of much needed junk. My children were trying to kill each other, and I had an insane migraine. I tried to use my card at the register, and the cashier calls out in a ringing voice (I’m assuming to make sure the 15 people behind me in line could hear her clearly) “YOU’RE CREDIT CARD HAS BEEN DECLINED!”

CURSE YOU TO INFINITY!!!

Luckily, it didn’t take us long to realize that neither of us had made any ridiculously expensive purchases at the Shell Oil Station in Ottumwa, Iowa. But our card is marked now, Buster! So hopefully, the next time you use it to go and spend over $200 at K-Mart, there’ll be an off-duty cop behind you with an itchy trigger-finger.

Sincerely,
Me

9 comments:

Simply Sarah *K* said...

OH MY GOSH!!! SERIOUSLY!! THAT IS HORRIBLE...I AM USING CAPS B/C I AM SERIOUSLY IRRITATED!
Just...oh my gosh.

Ashley said...

Oh man, that really sucks. Whoever did this to y'all is an a**! I am so sorry. My hats off to you though, you were cracking me up. I am totally not laughing at your situation, but you do have a way with words.

Shannon said...

Oh my gosh! How the heck did that happen?!?! That is SO fricken crazy. I mean when it rains it pours, but quit raining on the Grundbergs already!

P.S. my little code word that I have to enter agrees! LOL, it is "hHECKhk"!

Jason and Jan said...

It’s sad to think this world has enough dishonesty to create problems for honest people, especially at a time when you think everything couldn’t get worse.

The best option is to contact the credit card issuer and, if needed, provide a written statement (I assume you’ve already done this). Next, contact all three credit bureaus (Experian, Equifax, and TransUnion) and ask for a fraud alert to be placed on the credit file of both you and your husband. A fraud alert will prevent attempts to open new lines of credit without positively confirming your identity. The fraud alert will also get you a quick copy of your credit reports from all three credit bureaus. Not to scare you but if the perpetrator was able to obtain your credit card number with little effort, it's best to play it safe and find out if other lines of credit have been opened using your name. If there is inaccurate information or lines of credit you were not aware of, you’ll have the opportunity to dispute those items.

You could report the incident to local law enforcement and the Federal Trade Commission. Quick note, though: the FTC usually does not investigate credit card fraud if the amount does not exceed $2,000 and local law enforcement doesn't have enough resources to investigate if the amount isn't significant (threshold varies among jurisdictions).

Good luck!

Jason

Amber said...

Honey!!! What did you do to tick off The Man? ;) No seriously, I'm SO SO sorry. It is so violating to have that happen. But if I were you, I'd steer clear of any lightning storms in the near future. You don't want to tempt fate. (I love ya!!!) Here's hoping for a bit better luck on your behalf.

Carina Olsen said...

Oh My Gosh! When I read this I went right into your Dad's room and told him right away.
I'm praying that y'all can get back to normal soon.
Stupid, rude, good for nothing people have to do bad things to good people when they're already down. Seriously... Got any salt? Why don't they rub it in?

I'm sorry. Good luck and I hope the guy get a paper cut from the credit card slip and that it gets infected. Maybe loses a finger. lol!

Missy said...

I had my identity stolen when I was 19. I'm STILL paying the price for that. Be grateful it was just a credit card and not your entire financial identity! But other than that, way to beat a sistah when she's down! Sheesh. When it rains it pours! And yeah, you do need to file a police report, but the Arlington PD is CRAP when it comes to that kind of stuff, believe me! They just say that kind of thing happens so often they can't pursue any cases. It's so irritating. Hopefully your credit card company is cooperative about getting your money back! Let us know! I'm so sorry!

Jenni said...

I don't even know what to say that hasn't already been said. We will continue to pray for you guys.

Kelli said...

Oh, man, I am so sorry. I just can't believe people have no conscience. But, really, I don't even know why I'm surprised, either.