Friday, August 12, 2011

That's Entertainment

So far, this summer I’ve read:

1. Pride and Prejudice – Jane Austen
2. Sense and Sensibility –Jane Austen
3. Mansfield Park – Jane Austen
4. Jane Eyre – Charlotte Bronte
5. Wuthering Heights—Emily Bronte
6. The Lacuna --- Barbara Kingsolver
7. Her Fearful Symmetry—Audrey Niffenegger
8. We Were the Mulvaneys--- Joyce Carol Oates
9. The Historian---Elizabeth Koskov
10. Pudd’nhead Wilson ---Mark Twain
11. Tom Sawyer ---Mark Twain
12. The Living ---Anne Dillard
13. The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo ---Stieg Larsson
14. Life of Pi --- Yann Martel

I’ve been doing a lot of re-reading. But I’m so often disappointed in new books I read. I like a good book with a great thought-process and a great story; one that leaves me feeling if not uplifted, at least emotionally full. And I think I like reading fiction more than non-fiction because I find more truth rummaging around in the minds of imperfect characters than when I'm just reading fact after fact.

So should I stick to re-reading or is there some jewel out there that’s been passing me by?

I feel the same way about TV. I’m not much of a movie-watcher, but Steven and I do love to crack up over a hilarious sitcom (less of a time commitment). And since we’ve gotten rid of cable and only watch Netflix, it’s hard to know what would be good. We’ve liked:

1.) 30 Rock
2.) Parks and Recreation
3.) Community
4.) The Office
5.) Scrubs
6.) Seinfeld
7.) Arrested Development
8.) (more recently) Modern Family
9.) Phineas and Ferb (I’m not kidding, that show is crazy hilarious)

But once again we’ve run out. We did enjoy LOST and the first season of Heroes, but after that nada. Maybe it’s just time for Steven and I to just crack up together at old re-runs.

8 comments:

Joanna said...

I just read The Pillars of the Earth and could not put it down, despite it being over 1000 pages...finished it last week and am still thinking about the characters and the story. I miss you!

Jenni said...

I liked the Hunger Games series.

Miranda said...

I've heard the Hunger Games series is awesome.

Cyrus and I really enjoy watching "How I Met Your Mother". And we don't have cable, we just netflix them too. (yes, netflix is a verb):)

Solveig Atwood said...

I couldn't agree with you more! I have been so disappointed with a lot of the stuff I read; I think that's one of the major reasons I haven't been reading as much as I used to. Sorry that my suggestions weren't super helpful; I just haven't read anything amazing lately. I still need to check out some of the books you suggested to me, though...

And as far as TV goes...I'm also at a loss. We've been watching the X-Files from the beginning but that isn't exactly comedic in nature (although some episodes are surprisingly funny). I also want a new amazingly hilarious comedy to watch, but I'm pretty sure nothing is ever going to live up to Arrested Development, so I think we're doomed to watching reruns for awhile.

Solveig Atwood said...

I also just realized that "Joanna" who commented previously is my sister Joanna! Well what the heck...Jo I'll have to take your reading suggestion too. Another book to add to my list!

Jenny said...

I tried Pillars along while back and couldn't get into it. I think it's time to try again.

X-Files, huh? Maybe it's time for that too---I'm not sure why I've waited so long, actually.

And what are you talking about Solveig? I loved We Were the Mulvaneys. I did NOT love the Historian, but I really liked the Living too. So you gave me good ones. Keep it comin'! (I still haven't been able to find Bel Canto yet).

I have read the Hunger Games and it was tons of fun--one of those straight thru reads like the Di Vinci Code.

Cindy said...

Big Bang!

Sherry said...

I just saw this post and had to add my two cents worth:
If you like historical fiction--especially British--read anything by Sharon Kay Penman. She writes series, so you need to read them in order, but they are absolutely fantastic. Her shorter mysteries with Eleanor of Aquitaine are also good.

Another British history writer that I like is Elizabeth Cawthon--a bit of sex there sometimes though. Penman doesn't have much sex, but lots of great characters.

I also love Victorian mysteries by Anne Perry. Her Thomas Pitt novels are great. The first ones are short and easy reads; the later ones, longer and more complex. The first book is The Cater Street Hangman.

If you like romance and usually tasteful sex, read Mary Balogh. I love her books, but I like a little sex sometimes and there are those who find that totally unacceptable....

If you like military history, read The Killer Angels by Michael Shaara--it's about the Civil War battle at Gettysburg. I read it before going there and it made the whole experience much more meaningful. Books by his son Jeff Shaara are also good.

I'm currently reading The Professor and the Madman--non fiction and it is good. I have tons of non-fiction recommendations if you like those books. Also, another fiction==The Help--great book.

Non-fiction: Band of Brothers by Stephen Ambrose is one of my favorites.

The world is filled with great books...let's share and talk some more. Love you!