Sunday, June 13, 2010

Losing It

My main problem with listening to music lately is that when I hear a song worth listening to, I immediately want to MAKE that music. And not just solo Jenny on an acoustic guitar---that's not good enough. I want to completely recreate it, with a tight rhythm section, singers and a conga player who are my best friends and an amazing lead guitarist who I get to kiss when I go home at night.

I want to be able to close my eyes and be wholly enveloped in the pulsing beats and joyful cacophony. But I don't just want to drown in it--I also want to be a part of it--an important, VITAL part. When I hear the music, I want to BE the music maker.

Well, last night I had an opportunity to fulfill this wish in part with a small group of friends who invited me to sing with their band. I was thrilled to do this—finally a chance to exercise those talents and take part in an energizing creative experience.

Unfortunately, I seemed to have been lost in a mist of narcissism, seeing as how I declined to study any of the music we’d be playing—thinking that I’d “just read the music and wing it.” I didn’t even review anything I already knew because I assumed it was just like riding a bike—you never really forgot how.

Well, guess what? You do. When it came time for me to do my thing, I froze like an ice sculpture. I was positively rigid with fear of sounding like an idiot. And in my utter lack of confidence, that’s exactly what I did. I sounded like a timid, soulless coward tremulously trying to add my mewlings to the fray. What a nightmare. I was humiliated. And the worst part is that the opportunity to do something like this won’t likely come again.

So here’s my choice. I can close that chapter of my life for good. It was notably fabulous while it lasted, but it’s over now and I obviously don’t have the hutzpah (or reason) to keep it up nowadays.

Or…

I can get over myself, pick up my guitar and teach myself all over again how to perform with gusto instead of gutlessness. It angers me because there’ll be no progression here---merely trying to remember things I used to know. But I don’t want to lose it. Even if the glory days are over I don’t want to lose it.

We’ll see how it goes.

6 comments:

Simply Sarah *K* said...

Don't lose it!! Pick up that guitar and get your confidence back!! Confidence really is the key to everything, what you do with music is a talent that could never be lost...it's probably just sleeping...but life gets in the way and we lose that confidence...so get it back, yo, you can dooooo it! ;)

Mandie said...

Jennifer Howsley Grundberg! Don't you DARE put that inner diva away for good. Music and performing is what makes you YOU. It enriches your marriage, and I imagine, next to your family and God, its the one thing that brings you the most joy in life. Not to mention you're incredibly talented and it would be a waste for you to hide it away. So for all of us supressed musician parents out there- keep the music alive!

Solveig Atwood said...

Jenny, I totally understand your feelings right now. I feel like every talent I ever possessed has been buried far, far beneath the earth, never to be seen again. I can only hope that they will be resurrected someday, I'm sure only with a ton of work.

You are an amazing musician, though, and I agree with the previous comments--music is part of who you are. Definitely keep at it, even if it seems difficult with all of the other demands you have on your time right now. I know that it will come back and bring you so much joy when it does!

Julie{isCocoandCocoa} said...

Already eloquently said above, but adding my two cents. You have such a tremendous gift, don't lose it!

Bonnie said...

You have a gorgeous voice and a knack for many things musical. I think having kids provides an easy distraction from working on our talents. But there is nothing that says that you can pick it up again and progress. What a bonus that your kiddos will get to see you cultivating your talents. They will likely develop an even greater love and appreciation for music. Go for it!

Unknown said...

You are a musician. Period. Now get singing, lady! 15 minutes here and there is better than just feeling guilty about not being where you want to be, musically. I LOVE you and believe in you!!!