Why is it that BOTH of my children seem to wait till the very last nanosecond before they will run screaming to the bathroom and relieve themselves? A very constant occurence in our house goes something like this:
Step 1: Child begins nonchalantly grabbing at the general area of his body where pee comes out.
Step 2: Child will start running back and forth a few steps
Step 3: Child will start making distressed gasps and sighs.
Step 4: Child will yell out "AHHHH, I NEED TO GO POTTY" and run lightning-fast, knocking down any barriers along the way (including people) in order to do the necessary deed in the bathroom.
It's okay with Stevie because though he tends to wait, he's got a good mental idea of his boundaries and makes it in time.
Not so much with David. Recently he'll go through the aforementioned routine, but after making it to the bathroom, his hysteria takes over and he ends up spraying it around the room. Luckily, I've managed to spot the routine, and tend to bellow "Go to the bathroom, NOW, David!" at him whenever I see him get as far as Step 2.
I just think it's hilarious that going to the bathroom is SUCH A HASSLE for these guys. Obviously, it's a ludicrous interruption to their otherwise incredibly important activities, and they'd rather withstand that awful "gotta go" feeling if it means adding one more second to whatever they happen to be doing at the time. Its just the opposite for me. I'd rather pee 20 times every half-hour (and actually, that's a pretty common occurence lately) than have to endure that feeling for too long.
Go figure. Different Strokes, I guess.
5 comments:
You are not the only one, Jenny! Ben does this almost every single time he has to go to the bathroom. He's a dancer (not a grabber) and dances and wiggles and jumps until the very last minute. For the most part I can yell at him to go potty and he'll go, but more times than I'd like to admit he'll run to the bathroom only to stand on his stool and pee all over himself. He often does this at his friends' houses too. Awesome.
Hilarious!
Bella does a great potty dance...she will try to have a conversation with me or be asking me for something...all while fidgeting and dancing around. I finally have to ask her "do you have to go potty?" and she looks relieved as she runs off to the potty! Goodness gracious, girl! Just GO POTTY!!
I have dancers, too. For them playing is much more exciting than going to the bathroom. I'm with you though, I'd rather just go.
Ahahahahahaha - So funny. I just love the visual tapestries you weave. Are we playing tomorrow??
I consider myself lucky that I have never had to deal with this. Ash was completely potty trained (and better have been at 6!) by the time I came around.
Post a Comment