Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Labor Day

On Labor Day, Steven and I felt like it would be great idea to take advantage of the neato animatronics dinosaur exhibit at the zoo. We packed up the kids and drove on down, noting the weather was getting more and more questionable the closer we got.

By the time we actually located a parking space (which took a good 20 minutes) and started walking to the zoo entrace, it looked like this:


Okay, granted I accidentally took this picture with the night vision on, so its not clear what I'm trying to communicate here. Let me explain. The sky turned black, and then proceeded to angrily spew abnormal amounts of water at us. We tried waiting a few minutes, but our legs go tired, so we walked over to the Miller Outdoor Theater to wait under the awning.


We finally decided that we wouldn't melt, and so we braved the storm and traipsed down to the zoo. We figured that since it was raining, everyone would leave and go home. Not so much. There were oodles of soggy people there splashing through the puddles in order to look at enclosures where animals should have been but weren't (they were too smart to stand out in the rain and took shelter where they could).

The dinosaurs were pretty awesome, though. We enjoyed pretending that they could eat us at any moment (the carnivores, at least).



Truthfully, though? Probably not worth the ridiculous weather and crowds. But at least we were able to take the coveted prairie-dog hole picture (Daddy even squeezed in this time).

2 comments:

Jenni said...

Yea, but even if you (as a grown up were miserable) I bet this is one of those things that the boys will remember forever and always think is super cool.

Simply Sarah *K* said...

I agree with Jenn-with-an-i. Totally a great memory for them! Good for you for not going home and braving the weather! You rock, moms.